What is it like to be induced?

My doctor is going to make me have an ultra sound soon because he thinks my baby is growing too big. If he is too big I have to be induced, but not till 38 weeks. What is it like?

HuntersMama09

Asked by HuntersMama09 at 1:57 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I HEARD inducing makes the contractions hurt more, but i am sure it is different for each person and their pain level
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 2:00 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Honestly, since it was my first child, I was scared to death while my husband was driving me to the hospital...I kept telling him "I'm not ready for this, you HAVE TO TAKE ME HOME!! I CAN'T DO THIS!!" However, maybe I am one of the lucky ones, because it isn't that bad. Basically all they did for me was start an IV. With pitocin (sp??) They increase the amount gradually. For me it took about 26 hours and my baby was born. During that time I had to stay hooked up to the IV, meaning no walking around, you have to have a monitor on your belly the whole time, to make sure the baby's heart rate is good and the baby isn't in distress or anything...Basically it is kind of uncomfortable and boring, but it wasn't that bad at all. And the end result is soooo worth it :)

SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 2:02 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Just a medication added to your IV on a pump. They can increase it or decrease it, as need be. Now, it DOES make your contractions stronger, so if you're going for natural childbirth, be prepared! I was first in line for me epidural, so that wasn't a concern for me. (Many blessings to the clever doctor that invented the epidural!) All in all, induction isn't a big deal. There is some anecdotal evidence that it causes a higher incidence of babies with cords wrapped around their necks, although I don't understand why that would be. Nevertheless, my daughter's cord WAS wrapped around her neck, but the doctor knew exactly what was going on from the heartrate monitor, and delivered her safe and sound. I guess the long and short is that you WANT your labor to begin naturally, but if you're past your due date, or your health requires it, induction is a very viable option. Best of luck to you! :)
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 2:03 PM on May. 27, 2009

• ummm, I don't know if it made the contractions worse or not, they did come on pretty strong, but once they got unbearable, I had an epidural, and all was good.
    SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 2:04 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Honestly, I was induced with my 3rd and it was by far my easiest. Maybe because I was more relaxed in general. I've heard people swear it makes it harder but that wasn't the case for me. Each person is different. Just try to stay calm no matter what. Good luck!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 2:21 PM on May. 27, 2009

• i was induced twice but didnt have pitocin either time. They just broke my water and that started labor. With my first born (my son) I thought I was going to die INSTANTLY after they popped my water. With my daughter, it was totally easy. So it really depends on your body and your pregnancy. As for a typical induction... they start an IV with pitocin in it (a synthetic version of the hormone that your body releases during labor) and they turn it up every 15 minutes or so until you are in a normal, strong contraction pattern. Then they either turn it down all the way or they leave it where it is. They will break your water once the babies head is low enuf. It could be right at the start of the induction, or it could be hours in to it. They may come in a few times to unsuccessfully try to break it. Dont get discouraged... one way or another that baby will be here
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:29 PM on May. 27, 2009

• It was a wonderful experience for me. I got to the hospital, they started an IV, gave me cervadil a fourth of a tab at a time, inserted vaginally by the nurse. It was my first baby so I have no clue if the contractions were worse or not. I went through about 47 mins of hard labor and then called for and epideral. After that it was such smooth sailing, enjoyed every minute of the experience and felt zero pain. Of course when it comes to pushing time you feel some pressure and are not sure if you are pushing correctly or not, but the nurses will guide you and tell you what to do. Good luck!
    myakita3

Answer by myakita3 at 2:54 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I was really scared. It am an emergency . I had literally just left a regular appointment and went straight to the hospital. However, I never began having contractions and the doctors urged a c-section.
    brittney0601

Answer by brittney0601 at 2:56 PM on May. 27, 2009

• For me it wasn't that bad. I was really nervous but labor wasn't that painful as I thought it would be. I kept hearing horror stories about getting induce and the labor pains being awful, but I had great drs and my husband was a wonderful "coach" through the labor.
    Anonymous

• I was induced at 39 weeks because i'm a diabetic. For me the pitocin made the contractions come to close together too quickly, and when they slowed down the dose the contractions stopped, I had back labor. After 15 hours and not progressing as well as I should have, and both our heart rates dropping from the epidural I gave birth to my now 5 year old via c-section.

This baby will be born via c-section as well for various medical reasons!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:08 PM on May. 27, 2009