Does the Woman Infants and Children Program (WIC) have anything to do with higher prices of the Formula?

I had to start my son on formula due to work and I find myself wondering why the cost of formula is so expensive at the same time I have a friend who receives WIC and have no complaints of course. Do the companies who make formula put elevated prices because most of people don't realize how expensive it is? Understanding that the number of moms who buy formula with WIC is greater than the number of moms who buy formula Without the WIC.
Does anyone get my grip????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I understand what you're saying however am doubtful WIC users have pushed up the price of formula, reason being is the formula producers still get the full amount of the money per each can sold, the government pays for it not the formula manufacturers. They would not benefit from jacking up the prices because they do know there are just as many people not on WIC as there are those on, they would risk loosing business to off-brand formula's otherwise.

It can feel like most moms are on WIC when you aren't, but this is not the case, hang in there and know you're not alone :-)

If you're looking to purchase formula at a cheaper rate I would suggest bulk food places such as Cosco, Sams Club, and even Walmart and Winco have cheap prices from what I've heard... for me it's been awhile (I did not use WIC also but did buy bulk). I would not suggest from buying formula at local grocery stores as they are usually over priced.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 3:25 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Just because you are working outside the home doesn't mean you HAVE to use formula! You can express breast milk and store and freeze it for later use to be given by bottle when you're not home--meaning it's FREE!

Any "convenience" or prepared item is going to cost more than doing it yourself. Think things are expensive now? Just wait until Cap and Trade kicks in!
    Anonymous

• i dont think there are more people on wic than not considering that 10,657 babies are born a day in the us. i think it would be impossible to pay for more than half of those babies on assistance. so with that no.
    and the formula on wic is ONE brand only. so how would that affect the other brands? plus the government pays for it with the wic check. so the store would be recieving the money and so would the company.
    so blaming the high cost on the wic program is kinda ludicrous.
    katie_s1

Answer by katie_s1 at 2:15 PM on May. 27, 2009

• If I understand your question correctly, the makers of infant formula set the price according to demand. If a lot of people like the product and want the product they'll pay whatever they need to in order to get said product!

Now, if WIC is picking up the tab on the cost of formula--likely at a wholesale rate, then the makers HAVE to increase the selling price for regular consumers in order to stay in business.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:16 PM on May. 27, 2009

• but lorikeet there is a flaw in what you are saying, when you go to the counter with your check in hand and the formula you are given a reciept with the formula etc. and the store charges the regular price. which means that they are not going through wholesale they have to pay the funds 100% to the stores. the just are sponsored by the specific brand. so the place of sale is not hurt in any way.
    katie_s1

Answer by katie_s1 at 2:21 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Then it is the STORE that is making up for the loss in shelf space fees by increasing or charging the full amount to the manufacturers. Somewhere along the line someone has to be making up for subsidizing the actual costs associated with the manufacturing and sales of a product that is considered essential.

I'm just guessing...I've never been on WIC or PA.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:25 PM on May. 27, 2009

• well its a few things, all stores have generic brands, correct? so if they have a generic brand produced by their particular name, then they are going to jack up the price to make you buy their brand. advertising ploys.
    i dont think the prices have anything to do with wic. i think it has everything to do with money and greed.
    katie_s1

Answer by katie_s1 at 2:32 PM on May. 27, 2009

• LoriKeet, I agree with you. There is NO WAY the government is paying the asking price for formula! They have an agreement with someone and the cost of it gets passed on to consumers that pay the full price.

This is just like medicaid/medicare and healthcare. Healthcare costs have skyrocketed due to these 2 things. Both pay way below an acceptable amount and the costs get passed on to the other consumers.

You have gotta just love when the government tries to help people.................they mess everything up instead.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:37 PM on May. 27, 2009

This doesn't work for everybody! There are lots of jobs where you can't take the time or have a place to express your milk. Storing and commuting with it are also problems.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:39 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Well, since WIC has been around since 1974, I doubt it has much to do with the recent rise in formula prices. (And just a FYI, from the WIC website it says that about 40% of infants are on WIC, not more than 1/2). It's a supply and demand thing, they will charge as much as the market will bear.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:58 PM on May. 27, 2009