8 months now

I some times feel like I am not doing the right things with my son. Family members tell me different things, often times contradicting themselves- he should be crawling by now, holding his own bottle, stuff like that.

He has held the bottle once on his own and hasn't since. I try to make him hold it but he only gets mad.

Crawling- he is making some progress. He gets his butt up and can inch forward somewhat.

Jar baby food- We have given it to him but there are times he won't eat it.

Teething- I felt he has teeth coming through. Is there a way to help them come completelty through less painfully?

Bottle feeding- we have similac advance and he some times has problems burping, more often with his dad then me. I'm sure it's not the formula though.

Looking for some feedback...first time mom. Thank you

KellyBelly89

Asked by KellyBelly89 at 2:06 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Okay...First off, don't listen to a thing they have to say. Now, do a little research on your own and find out what is ok and what isn't. Then, if you still have questions or concerns, talk to your son's doctor. If you don't ignore them, you will continue to feel confused about your son. Most people don't know what is or isn't normal at what age or what constitutes as a concern. They all believe, "my son did such and such at ___ age, your should too" Which has no basis in reality. All children develop at their own alloted tmes. Trust me. If I did that to my freind about her kid, he would have spent forever at the doctor and with therupists. My son out talked hers something awful. She thought her son just had to have speech or hearing probs. Turns out, he just started later.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:23 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I'm sure you're doing everything fine--don't let your family get to you :) Every baby does things at different times and there is not a whole lot you can do to make him develop faster.
    I would enjoy still being able to feed him because you're not going to be able to do it much longer.
    It sounds like he'll be crawling soon--he's doing everything that my son did as he was figuring out crawling and my son didn't actually push up and crawl on all fours until he was 10 months. Now he's all over the place :)
    Don't worry about the baby food-he'll eat when he's ready. Again, my son wasn't ready until the week before he was 10 months.
    Not sure about burping (I BF) but I know my son has needed to burp less and less as he gets older. If your son's not having tummy troubles, no worries :)
    Hang in there, mama, sounds like you're doing a great job!
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 2:25 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Thank you so much!
    KellyBelly89

Answer by KellyBelly89 at 2:28 PM on May. 27, 2009

• BTW, holding a bottle isn't a milestone and you should always hold them while they have a bottle. Because they shouldn't lay flat. So, if he never holds a bottle, it doesn't matter.

He may skip crawling and go straight to walking...some kids do.

Technically, babies don't need baby food, it is mostly to practice chewing, not for nutrition. In fact, feeding food may take away from the nutrition he's getting from formula.

Teething..I suggest teething tablets. Or, a frozen washcloth or frozen bagel to gnaw on. And, he may not get teeth till he is older.

Since he is 8 months old, he may need to just let to burp on his own.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:29 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Holding own bottle- he will if he feel like it. It's not a milestone... some kids want you to snuggle and hold it for them... some want to do it themselves.
    Crawling- some kids don't crawl either. Or some crawl later than others... my son crawled at 7 months, a couple of friends with babies the same age (10 months) still aren't crawling and my friends daughter didn't crawl until 11 months but now at a year is nearly walking (if she had the guts to let go)
    Foods- try table foods and finger foods he might be more open to doing it himself at this age. But even my son doesn't always feel like eating (like today) no big deal.
    Teething- Invest in an amber teething necklace they work well! (they wear them, not for chewing) and then teething drops/tablets, tylenol, motrin, cool things to chew on (toys or my son liked frozen banana's in a mesh feeder)
    Burping- they don't need to be burped so much any more... but bouncing works!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:31 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Oy vey dont listen to them. My son didnt hold his own bottle till he was a year old, or crawl untill he was 11 months. As far as the teething, there are teething tablets, tylenol, teething rings, and mesh teethers that all work wonders. You can also take a baby wash cloth and dip it in water or juice and freeze it in the freezer and let him chew on it. Now with the baby food, dont force it. Let him go at his own pace with it. Always offer it to him after you give him his bottle, and if he wants to eat it, he will. Eventually he will start eating it regularly just keep at it! : )
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 2:37 PM on May. 27, 2009

• thank you so much. this helps a lot
    KellyBelly89

Answer by KellyBelly89 at 2:43 PM on May. 27, 2009

• With burping, sometimes they just need to be set up. Sometimes they did a good enough job themselves while eatin that they dont need o burp. You dont burp after eating everytime right?

Anyway, dont listen to them. If you are concerned talk to a doctor. Alot of the time, they just start later. My friend's baby who was born 2weeks after mine, cna already sit up. My baby girl an if she wants to but is so darn interested in everything that she face plants herself from the sitting position then scoots as fast as possible after it! My little girl will only sometimes hold her own bottle and sometimes she will tolerate a bit of baby food. She really likes when I give her a slice of apple to chew on while I eat mine, or a greenbean or carrot. She would rather have the real thing and part of it is, I think, because I am eating it too.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 3:46 PM on May. 27, 2009