HOW MUCH SHOULD I SPEND ON A PAIR OF NIKES FOR MY 12 YR OLD DAUGHTER?

MY DAUGHTER CAME TO US LAST WEEK THAT SHE WANTED A PAIR OF NIKE HIGHTOPS THAT RUN ABOUT 90 DOLLARS. WE THOUGHT IT IS TO MUCH SO WE TOLD HER THAT IF SHE DID HER CHORES AND FOLLOWED THE RULES WE WOULD GIVE HER A 20 DOLLAR ALLOWANCE PER WEEK. THIS WAY SHE CAN SAVE UP FOR HER SHOES. BUT I WONDER SHOULD WE JUST HAVE GOTTEN THEM FOR HER SINCE HONESTLY THIS GIRL HAS NEVER ASKED FOR EXPENSIVE SHOES OR NAME BRAND FOR THAT MATTER.

WIZZO

Asked by WIZZO at 2:26 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Kids need to learn to save for what they want and learn the value of a budget. There is nothing wrong with children being given a budget and then having to work/save to pay for the rest. My son was 8 yrs and wanted a PS2 - he had to have good grades in school AND pay for half with money he had saved. He collected pop cans on the street/parks/etc. and turned them in for money. He did odd jobs for neighbors like picking up sticks/rocks in yards. He also paid for half of his Beagle puppy that way! When a child wants something bad enough they will find a way to earn the money and save for it and appreciate it that much more!

We use the same philosophy for vacations. We pay for the trip - food/hotel/flights/entertainment but if they want to buy souvenirs they have to bring their own money (I usually buy one thing for them). If you start buying $90 Nike's at 12, what will be next?
    LCCTracie

Answer by LCCTracie at 3:21 PM on May. 27, 2009

• No you shouldn't have gotten them for her. $90 is ridiculous for shoes, especially for a 12 year old. If she wants the shoes she should earn them. My mom would buy us the things we needed when we were younger but only well-priced things. If we wanted something expensive we had to save for it ourselves. And to be completely honest, there isn't much difference between $30 shoes and $90 shoes. It's the name brand and looks you are paying for. She needs to learn the value of money now before its too late.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:31 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My kids are grown now..I would not spend(on my DD's) know more then I would on myself..and I am cheap..I think you are right..If you do not want to spend that much..Tell her how much your willing to spend and make her use her allowance to make up the rest.

Answer by louise2 at 2:32 PM on May. 27, 2009

• yea i think u did the right thing . if she gets them herself then shes take care of her stuff not like my cuzin who get all the name brand they ask for and the next week u'll want to know how long they had anything how old they b lookin. also mayb u could go half n half w/ her and help her buy the sneakers so she could still have some money left for some matching tops. .. lol
    michmm03

Answer by michmm03 at 2:32 PM on May. 27, 2009

• In your situation, I would have gotten them for her and only because she doesn't ask for anything. Otherwise, I would give her what I normally pay and have her work off the remainder. $90 is a lot for shoes, but if she never asks for them and I could afford it, I would do it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:33 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I think you did the right thing. I could not afford shoes that expensive! Maybe you can. But working for them is the right way to go anyway!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:28 PM on May. 27, 2009

• WOW $90 holly cow I spent $26 on a pair of shoes for my 10 year old.
    That is alot of money for shoes! Even if you can afford that you did the right thing by making her earn them. I could never afford shoes that expensive.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:30 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I usually take my kids to the Shoe Department or Shoe Carnivale. Those brand names are cheaper there.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:15 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• i say maybe you should have bought them for her since she never asks (the new high tops are pretty sweet) but it's good for her to learn to save for the things she wants. i don't think $90 is too much to spend but i love clothes (and i'm the manager at a clothing store) :) guess my boys are lucky! lol
    WesAndNicksMom

Answer by WesAndNicksMom at 12:40 AM on Jun. 6, 2009