Do you ever spank because you lose your temper?

Please no bashing and if you haven't then please don't answer. My 3.5 DD always takes a 2 hour nap everyday and she didn't get one yesturday because we were at our in-laws. Well she started being horrible and being rude to everybody. Then she starts running through the house screaming and when I picked her up she was screaming in my face and wouldn't calm down and I popped her bottom. I felt bad afterwards! But i had enough and I fely l;ike just because she is tired doesn't mean that she gets to treat people that way. I rarely spank her but will if I have to. And like I said I make sure she gets her nap everyday but allowed her to skip it yesturday. So I feel like it is all my fault!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on May. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have done something similar but I don't think it's out of anger I think enough is enough and when they cross that fine line then a spanking is ok (not a beat down) I have only spanked my 4 year old a few times but only when she was out of control.
    neveragain17

Answer by neveragain17 at 2:41 PM on May. 27, 2009

• We are human... we all make mistakes. Yes, I have spanked because I was angry. And I have screamed because I lost my temper. If it is the odd occation and a mistake... it is ok... it happens to the best of us.
    Anonymous

• I beleave that you should not spank when angry, but also belaeve moms are human and lose there temper too as long as you don't go out trying to really hurt your child, but sometimes kids need to know that what there doing makes you angry, it helps them understand feelings, but in no way am i saying spank when angry, heck no u shouldn't, when i go to companys house i always bring a playpen because i have 3 kids and i expect a tantrum, always expect it don't over estimate your child and think mybe they will be good this time, no, plan ahead, i use that playpen when i get angry and i have had enough i put her in her playpen till i cool down and walk out of the room, i do it at home too, because when your angry you could spank too hard not knowing it. i have a 2yr old that throws the worst tantrums and i get so mad at her and have to get away to cool down
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 2:46 PM on May. 27, 2009

• wow when you just get to that point you have to do what you have to do. You can feel bad but i bet after she got spanked she slowed her body down and behaved??
    Anonymous

• No matter where you are, you're kids shouldnt act like that. We feel that our kids that are older should know how to act, if not, they are warned. IF they continue they do get spanked. If your LO was that tired, she could have sat on the couch and just crashed. My older boys are 4 and 2 and they know better not to act like a "fool" in public. I dont feel like it was your fault.
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 3:03 PM on May. 27, 2009

• You shouldnt be concerned about anyone bashing you, it is your choice to spank or not to spank. I spank because my 3 year old is hell on wheels. Do I like to do it? Nope. Do I feel bad? Hell yea. But it's a last resort if he won't respond to the time out and is out of control. I'm very old fashioned when it comes to discipline but I only spank with my hand and pants on. If other women don't believe in spanking and it works for them good for them, but it doesnt work for my kids!
    MiSSHiSCAMP0S

Answer by MiSSHiSCAMP0S at 4:32 PM on May. 27, 2009

• No, I have never spanked out of losing my temper. I walk away and calm down before I deal with my son.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:57 PM on May. 27, 2009