Spoon Feeding- When to Start?

Hi, my daughter is almost 5 months old, and I've been giving her rice cereal in a bottle (I know that they say you shouldn't do that) for a couple weeks now. I just want to know when I should start spoon feeding her? What are the signs that's she's ready? And how do I go about it? The last time I tried to give her a spoon, she just sucked on it.

Call-Me-Mommy

Asked by Call-Me-Mommy at 2:43 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i started all my kids at 3mths and i know they say 4mths, but i beleave all kids are different, i wouldn't make a habit of putting it in a bottle because she needs to learn to eat it, and yes they will suck on the spoon, but keep spooning it in and eventually they will catch on. i have a 5yr old, 2yr old and 1yr old and all started eating at 3mths and stoped bottles at 10mths ( they recomend formula till 12mths) but all kids are different and my kids are healthy
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 2:50 PM on May. 27, 2009

• hope i helped
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 2:51 PM on May. 27, 2009

• You definitely did!
    Call-Me-Mommy

Answer by Call-Me-Mommy at 3:04 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I started spoonfeeding my daughter at four months. She turned five months yesterday. You really just have to try it and see what works. I tried giving my daughter rice cereal at three months and she absolutely hated it, even though she'd take it in her bottle. I got some bananas and applesauce when she was four months old and she loved it. I guess she prefers sweeter stuff, haha. But she's doing great right now, it took a little while for her to get used to it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:05 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I started spoon feeding my little girl when she was three months. But they say when the baby starts looking at you when you eat she or he is ready to be spoon feed. Oh and when they gave the spoon they are ready for finger food. but you do what is best for you. I am. Because I haven't given my little girl much finger foods. I hope this helps.
    Greeneyes1

Answer by Greeneyes1 at 3:10 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I only spoon fed and started at 4 months with cereal. At 5 months we started baby foods, at 6 months we started table foods and finger foods with them being completely on them by 9 months.

You can get rid of the bottle at any time. Just put formula (or breastmilk) in a sippy cup. We did that at 6 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:12 PM on May. 27, 2009

• 6 months like you are supposed to.
    Anonymous

• Jazzy is ALWAYS staring at me whenever I eat, and she constantly tries to take my food. Whenever she's next to me and I'm eating, she tries to suck on the side of the plate. I'm always like, "No, my food!" lol
    Call-Me-Mommy

Answer by Call-Me-Mommy at 3:24 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Then she is ready! I would go for it!
    Greeneyes1

Answer by Greeneyes1 at 3:58 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Oh yeah, my daughter totally tries to steal my food every time I'm eating. She stuck her hand in my soda today, I was like aw...great. LOL!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:12 PM on May. 27, 2009