How can i help my colic baby to be happy n play..?HELP PLEASE!

my daughter is 3 months old colic baby. She crys all day long. She sleeps through the whole night so atleast i got that far. But during the day she just crys and crys. I bought gripe water that has helped but she is a noisey eatershe gets so much air. How long does this last? I love her so much and all i want to do is play with her. But tummy time, can't happen because all she does is lay there and scream. It was colic before but maybe she realized that i try to pick her up everytime she screams. I can't just leave her there crying. It breaks my heart.Is she getting to spoiled? All this crying i think is putting her behind.

MOMMYEXCHANGE

Asked by MOMMYEXCHANGE at 2:47 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• at 3 months they don't have the ability to know that you will pick them up if they cry - this is still colic. My son had all day/night colic til he was 5 months and still the fussiest baby after that - there really isn't much you can do for them at this point - just make sure its colic and not Acid reflux/GERD - I bounced and rocked my son all day long - but I aksed for help from my mom who I trusted completely otherwise I would have went insane... it can really take its toll -email me anytime - I may not be able to give much advice but I can be here to support you - its terrible.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:55 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Oh and just so you know, the crying all day didn't seem to put my son behind. He was crawling before he was 6 months old and reached every milestone -he's only 18 months old now but I think all that constant crying and clenching make him stronger physically.. oh momy.. that's so hard. I am so sorry
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:57 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My son had the worst colic. Are you breastfeeding? I found out later my son had food allergies to egg and peanut. When I stopped breastfeeding, his colic went way. I still think I was the main contributor to his colic because of my diet.
    As for being too spoiled- she won't be. Just do what she wants so you all can have your sanity. Studies have shown that colicky infants grow up to be more intelligent, social, and well-adjusted than their "easy baby" counterparts since they are held so much as infants. The best thing you can do for her development is hold her and help her feel safe. To help with the crying, try using the 5 S's (works everytime):
    http://www.babyslumber.com/happiestbaby.html
    She will eventually outgrow colic, so don't worry too much.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 2:59 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Not to be mean dawpea but we went to a class on the 5's - it didn't work everytime! but it did work SOME times so its really worth trying!! the tighter the swaddle, the better for our son!! we had almost what looked like a baby straightjacket!! and yes, I agree with her - do NOT worry about holding/spoiling her - it doesn't happen.!! Not this young!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:04 PM on May. 27, 2009

• It wil pass. My daughter who is 12 weeks tomorrow was like this for the longest time. I tell everyone that all she did was cry for the first 8-10 wks of her life. How much does she weigh? When my DD reached 10 lbs. I think that's when she got better. She's still fussy but not moreso than a regular baby (I think, she's my first). We just held her, bounced her on a yoga ball, and rocked her through the crying. When we were real fed up we'd put her in the crib to have her let off some steam. She will get better with time. As for tummy time, my DD hates it mostly, too. My doc. says it's b/c they get frustrated that they can't move yet. I think a lot of babies hate tummy time. Also, my DD seemed bored. As fussy as she was, when we'd be in public or she'd see something new, she'd be really well behaved.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:07 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My oldest son also had colic, he would scream for 4-5 hours a day. He is now 11 but the only two things we found that worked was to run the vacuum cleaner in his room, we would turn it upside down so it didn't ruin the carpet sitting in one spot and then just turn it on. He would instantly stop crying. When we got tiered of that we went with a friend's suggestion and tried a chiropractor! It worked a miracle. Find a chiropractor that has experience with infants and take your baby there. We went to Abeler Chiropractic in Andover, MN but there are others too. My son stopped his colic crying after two treatments and we were home free!
    LCCTracie

Answer by LCCTracie at 3:11 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Also be aware of overstimulating her. We were totally ovestimulating my DD without knowing it. Even just listening to the TV in the evening too loudly or talking too loudly was bothering her,esp. when she wanted to go to sleep. B/c I'm a first-time mom I didn't realize that overtiredness/overstimulation could make them cry louder and harder and that she really wanted to go to bed early but I missed her cues. We started a bedtime routine of a bath/book/rocking chair and she's been way better ever since. Some babies get way too overstimulated and can't calm down. That's how mine was.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:11 PM on May. 27, 2009

• If gripe water helps see if she has reflux. I gave it to DD for an antiacid until she was seen by a specialist. If your breast feeding and you are concerned abot allergies then just do an elimination diet. DD screamed in pain ALL of the time! I thought I was going to go crazy. I seriously thought about just leaving her at a safe haven place. i would get so frustrated with her i'd have to put her down and come back in 10 minutes. anway, turns out she had reflux and milk and soy protein allergies. we got her on meds and i eliminated milk and soy products from my diet.
    Anonymous

• OH yeah, We did the chiropractor too but he was already 4-1/2 months old but his "colic" went away in 2 weeks. that was 12 treatments cause we brought him everyday - he was still fussy after that but he was at least calmable.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:19 PM on May. 27, 2009