18mo sleeping issues. Need help!

We just moved to a wonderful house in the country. There's some train tracks about a half a mile away, in front of our house, which we thought was awesome, b/c he could see the "choo choo" and wave at it and say hi to it... The only problem is that there's a train that runs by at about 3:00am. It's far away enough that the rest of us don't hear it, but the sound of a choo choo gets him excited, then he wants mama. I've just been picking him up, going to the couch, and we both fall asleep with Sprout on TV (Barney @ 3am anyone?) Hubby says we just need to put a radio in his room, (because that's what his mom did with him) but do any of you have any other suggestions for white noise?

mmmommy0207

Asked by mmmommy0207 at 2:48 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We moved next to train tracks when my daughter was 10 months old and they bothered her too but she got used to it (we live so close you can see the tracks and the train goes by at least 6 times a day/night). I also use a fan in her room to keep noise away (our floors squeek and she wakes up to that noise all the time) this has worked well for us.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:23 PM on May. 27, 2009

• The Marcpac sleepmate 980 sound conditioner. LOVE IT and worth EVERY penny!
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 2:52 PM on May. 27, 2009

• What about getting a cool air humidifier... you'll need one most likely come winter months for mositure in his room... and that really drowns out noise. If you keep getting up at 3am, you'll train him to call for you that early every day... he'll look forward to this special time with you... and eventually you'll HAVE to get up...it will get harder and harder to ignore him...(their yelling only gets louder as they get older! Ha) save yourself this 3am headache and help him get the sleep he needs... radio, humidifier, white noise machine.... anything... save the choo choo fun for when you can both enjoy it. Good luck...
    SamMom912

Answer by SamMom912 at 2:59 PM on May. 27, 2009

• We have a train that is really close too. We have lived here since my son was born so he is more used to it. I think your son will get used to eventually. We have a fan in my sons room to help block out the noise. I would stop taking your son out of bed. It is something that he is going to have to get used to, its not going away. When he wakes because of the train I would let him cry for a few minutes and then go in and rub his back or something until he goes back to sleep. Then each time wait a few minutes longer. If he won't fall back to sleep after a few minutes I would leave and let him cry for a while and then go back and try it again. Each time you go back increase the amount of time you let him cry. This is exhausting, but it will eventually work and will help not to start a new problem.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 3:14 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I have a fan in my son's room to mask noise. it really helped him!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:21 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I don't mean to seem lazy, but training him to go back to sleep seems rough! I know that it has to be a diligent , gradual thing, but I'm 20 weeks preggo and I work 50 hrs a week! If the white noise thing doesn't help, I guess I'm just gonna have to suck it up! Thanks for the advice!
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 3:43 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Oh, and I've noticed that he really enjoys cuddling with mommy on the couch! I can't get him to do this when he's really awake, because he's so active. I think it's gotten uncomfortable for him because of my belly, though. I usually lay down propped up with a throw, and he sleeps on his tummy on my chest. It just occured to me that if he actually stops, I may miss it! I know I'm just being goofy, and getting up every night isn't healthy for him tho :(
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 4:09 PM on May. 27, 2009