Do I have to pay a ton for a cell phone?

My husband needs a new cell phone, his is crap. Our Sprint plan is not up until 2011 and we do NOT want to extend our contract in anyway. We get only get a $50 upgrade credit from Sprint if we extend our contract, if we don't phones are full price $179.00 and up. I don't want to pay that much. Can I just go buy a cheap phone and activate it with my Sprint account? or do I have to pay a ton for another crappy phone that probably will not last?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Shopping

• my husband and I both have phones we are selling on ebay. My DH is going to list them on the weekend. His is the palm centro (i think that is what it is called) and mine is the rumor. we only used them for about a month and they are still in perfect condition. if you want to know more about them then send me a message.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 3:13 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Check Craigslist.
    Anonymous

• Call other cell phone providers and see if anyone will buy out your current contract.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:50 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Actually you can have your cell company activate phones from other providers, you just won't have all the perks. Such as web access, background, music, etc. downloads. But they can do it. I believe they charge a small fee for it.($10). We have a verizon and we were told by them that this could be done. I did not like that fact that I coul;dn't download Lady Gaga from a non Verizon phone. LOL!!
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 5:22 PM on May. 27, 2009

• you can get a good deal on amazon but a better deal with a new 2 year contact. GOOD LUCK!!
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 6:04 PM on May. 28, 2009

• wow, sounds like a load of crap to me.. I know I got my verizon phone for $29.99.. had the camera, videa, and memory card... wasn't top of the line.. but it was better than some of those my friends had, that spend over a hundred on theirs.
    .
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:52 PM on May. 29, 2009