Is there an appropriate punishment for 15 month olds?

When we're at someone else's house my daughter listens when I tell her "no" and "stop". When we're at home it's a completely different story. She climbs up on everything, pulls things off tables, and gets into things she shouldn't (I know, weird for a toddler, right? lol), but when I say "no" she just doesn't listen. I'm against smacking and spanking, so I've started putting her in her playpen as a form of "time out". I'll leave her in for 3-5 minutes but when I take her out she goes right back to doing what I told her not to do. Is there anything else I can do or do I just have to wait it out?

momma_gig

Asked by momma_gig at 3:11 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Unfortunately this is common at that age...doing things that they are not supposed to do. And, the not listening to Mommy at home...that's pretty common too. Just keep being consistent. Take her away from whatever she is doing. Usually redirection at this age is all that is needed...but you'll have to keep doing it over and over again. It's gets old and annoying but eventually she will get the point. Then she'll move on to something else. Good luck. At every age there's a stage that you cannot wait to get out of.
    Anonymous

• you just have to be consistant. 3-5 minutes I think is too long at this age - she may have forgetten you told her no- i do 1 minute or 1-1/2 minutes and go and do something else and when my son gets up, I tell him again NO NO Spill water ( thats his famous one ) and set him back down, then go do something and everytime after he gets up I say nothing, just sit him back down til he stays for 1 minutes. no matter what. hes only 18 months odl and I started it at 16 months and he really got it right away - I mean, he may not understand its exaclty punishment yet, since he put himself in time out this morning for something I didn't see him do wrong..lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:26 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I word things differently with my 17 mo. old rather then saying "no dont color on the wall" I'll say "why don't you color on the paper on your table" this seems to work better for us at least. If she hits me in the face (which she does occasionally) I simply hold her hands for a a minute (or until she begins to fuss about it, it never takes more then 2 mins) and tell her she can have her hands if she dosent hit. Hope you find a solution :)
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:20 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I would just try to distract her.... I don't think you can or should try to punish a 15 month old. I feel your pain though. I've got a 17 month old that is into EVERYTHING.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:38 PM on May. 27, 2009