Could this be reflux?

I need to find someone who has experience with reflux. I have some questions to ask but can not fit all the information in this message. The basics are that it's a 3 year old boy who is on baby formula and can't keep anything else at all down. It's getting so that if he smells food when the fridge is opened he will gag. It sounds to me like it couldn't be reflux, but I have no experience with reflux at all. If I could email the info to anyone who could answer some questions I would very much appreciate it.

fullersusie

Asked by fullersusie at 3:11 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Health

• usually reflux won't make you gag at the smell of food. I have reflux and my son had reflux when he was a newborn. it sounds more like a food/sensory sensitivity.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 3:15 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My son has severe reflux where it comes up so high that it then goes back down the trachea, sits in the lungs and causes pnemonia every single month! I would say that is a very manipulative child. Reflex is from your food (or liquid) not settling right and coming back up your esophagus. There is NO WAY that any form of that could happen just by smelling food!! Jaydin's GERD was silent meaning it doesnt cause the pain or the spit up that is common with GERD but I know for a fact it can only happen with food or liquid intake
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:19 PM on May. 27, 2009