erections

Help. My son (5) has started getting erections. It happens at different times during the day. i noticed him looking at it a lot, then when I asked what was going on, he said he was checking to make sure his weenie was ok. I told dh and asked him to have a talk w/ our son. He told ds that it was normal, that it was ok and that it would go back to normal size. DS seemed ok with it. But he keeps looking and tell me when it gets "big". How do I handle it, as the mother?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on May. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I like anon's answer 3:22. My friend freaked out when a little girl that she babysat (about 6yrs old) was touching herself because, to her, it isnt normal and is wrong. But I tried to tell her that you shouldnt tell them it is wrong. It isnt, and telling little girls that has be shown to have some lasting negative effects on some. If he is very mature you could explain the bloodflow thing, if not, tell him it is something that in time he will be able to make stop with his mind, but for right now it is completely ok and all the other boys his age are going through it. And express what anon 322 said, there is a time and place to look and touch it. You could even tell him that that "place" is a bathroom or his room.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 4:45 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Just tell him what your husband said, it's normal and will go back to the normal size.
    Anonymous

• My son is 5 and it happens all the time. I just tell him thats Normal and that is what God made it to do. Good info for right now. I dont want him to feel shy or embarrassed about telling me.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:22 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Just tell that it's inappropriate to look at or touch his penis unless he is in the privacy of his own room or bathroom. That there's nothing wrong with his penis and there's nothing wrong about looking at it or touching it but there is a time and a place for it. You don't want your son to think that it's wrong to do at all, just to know when it's appropriate. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• it is good fro boys to know what is going on with their bodies, of course dont go into the sex talk quite yet or anything though lol
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 3:22 PM on May. 27, 2009

• it is normal, dont make a big deal about it, tell him that is what his body does naturally and it is ok, it wont go anywhere but it will go back to normal size. He needs reassurance from you. Just say,ok son, dont worry it will go down.

He might need info about the erection, tell him it happens sometimes when he has to pee really bad, first thing in the morning, when he is excited. It is never too early to talk about his sexual organs and what it does. Of course you dont need to talk about the birds and bees, just talk about his body. You might find some good resources online.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:27 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Erections are no different than goosbumps or sneezes........they just happen and are not under conscious control for a 5 year old. Just reassure him that it is normal for it to get big, and then go back down.
    Foster_Mom

Answer by Foster_Mom at 4:29 PM on May. 27, 2009