What kind of house rules work best for your family?

I was writing down house rules for my kids but i looked at them and i didn't like what i wrote down so i would change them over and over. So i thought i would see what kind of rules you have to just see what i think would work in my family household just to get idea.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I sat down with my son and we wrote out the rules together then he signed the bottom of it saying he would abide by these rules. They were:
    Respect mom, dad and your brothers
    Clean your room and do your assigned chores
    No getting angry
    No whining
    The last two we were having issues with when he was that age. He has sort of grown out of these rules now so I am about to sit down with him and write new ones.

This works really well for us picking just four simple rules for each of our boys to follow keeps things going very smoothly.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 4:07 PM on May. 27, 2009

• my children are 3 years(boy) and 18 months(girl)
    1-no feet on furniture
    2-no running
    3-no spitting
    4-no back talk
    5-no cursing
    6-no yelling
    7-what mess YOU make, YOU clean
    8-if you sleep in it, you make it up (except my 18 month old, although she is learning)

2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 3:24 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I'd say KISS - Keep It Simple
    Treat others the way you'd want to be treated.
    How old are your kids? When they are young they need a lot of guidance and direction. Always explain the reason why you have a rule. Don't just make up rules and expect the child to follow it. Be consistent and never threaten or get angry.
    3kidsatonce

Answer by 3kidsatonce at 3:35 PM on May. 27, 2009

• no backtalk..no slamming doors..you make the mess, you clean it up..if you're not using something turn it off (like tv, lights, toys, music etc)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:03 PM on May. 27, 2009

• We have one hard and fast rule. Though take into consideration my son is headheaded and only being firm with him works.

Do what I say, when I say, How I say, at the exact moment I say it. And if you don't I'll make you wish you did.

Although at our house we allow furniture jumping, getting angry, not always picked up rooms, and making messes. I'm a fairly laid back parent with most things.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 7:59 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Your kids are really young so I would say...be respectful, no hitting, no disrespecting the items in the home, clean up your mess, love one another. Thats about it. Then as they get older, you can add too it. Dont make too many rules though. My kids are 14, 11 , 7 and 3. Our rules are no eating in the LR, clean up you own mess and your own room, no hitting, no name calling, no disrespect, moms word is the final word, stuff like that. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:28 AM on May. 28, 2009