Children in Daycare Vs. Children at home?

The other day I went to the park with my toddler when a group of children from the Day Care Center arrived with two teachers.
My son started to have a tantrum and I was getting nervous about what the teachers might think. (I'm just human!) and I started wondering maybe it would be nice for my son to go to daycare.
These children are so good. They listen to the teachers and play together.

Do Daycare Children have advantages or disadvantages over the children at home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on May. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Don't worry mama, kids always behave better for other people. I'm sure those kids act differently when they're with their parents.
    jenerica

Answer by jenerica at 4:15 PM on May. 27, 2009

• IMO children spend enough time in school, why make them go any sooner than they have to? I have been a SAHM for the past 13 yrs and our 3 boys have done very well socially and academically..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:25 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I would say no. I've worked in 2 different daycare centers and I can tell you they don't normally act that way, lol. How old were they? Maybe he just needs some structure. That seems to be the big selling point with daycares. They have a regular routine.

If you send him to daycare be prepared for LOTS of illnesses. I don't care what anyone says, I don't think it builds up immunities. Kids were always sick =(
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:26 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My son goes to daycare two days a week. I think its good for him to able to get out and interact with kids his own age. He learns a lot about sharing, taking turns, following directions, overall I think its good for him. Plus I get to do things for me. However, if you want to send to him daycare part time because you think that will help with discipline problems at home it probably wont work that way. Just because those kids where good then doesnt mean they are at home. My sons teacher and I have nearly identical "parenting" styles, he still does things for her he wont do with me.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 3:28 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My guess is you caught them on a good day! I think kids are better off at home if possible. My kids weren't in daycare, but they did have to go to early intervention programs due to learning delays and speech issues. All kids that age have their moments, but I don't think my kids were any worse off than kids who went to day care every day, I always considered my kids to have been at home despite the schooling about twice a week. But honestly I wouldn't worry about it! As long as you act like him going to school at age 5 or 6 is no big deal, it will be no big deal. My DD was two the first time she rode a school bus, and it never fazed her. She loved to go. Same with my DS at age three. Just make sure you are doing some pre kindergarten work, these days kindergarten is more like first grade and there are requirements that you can easily teach him.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 3:29 PM on May. 27, 2009

• TEACHER HERE: lol

I have a degree in Early Childhood Education and I work at a preschool. They BOTH have good and bad benifits.

Our preschool has classrooms of 2's, 3's, 4's and 5 year olds. It is set up very much like a school but age appropriate. They have tables and toys etc.

Interaction between other kids and their teacher is what sets apart school from home. Kids learn to listen, take turns, play, make friends, handle seat work, clean up etc. I could make a list a mile long....lol

It really helps kids to transition from being home to going to BIG school too. Kindergarten is a lot tougher than people think. They are expected to know letters, numbers, simple writing, and preschool gives them time to build these skills and learn how to GO TO school before the REAL DEAL school starts.

Being home is not a sin, it works well for some people. But a lot of parents are choosing to give their child a head start.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:30 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Oh, I also ment to say: There is a HUGE difference between daycare and preschool. Daycare watches children and takes care of personal needs. Preschool does those things AND adds learning experiences as well.

When you go to look for a center. Find one that most closely resembles a real school. They should have a teacher, tables to work at, blocks puzzles, colors papers....etc.

If your child is going to go, then they should be learning not just being taken care of....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:32 PM on May. 27, 2009

• So here is my opinion: my sisters children go to day care, and my son does not. My child is very well behaved (examples: says please and thank you and is very polite, doesn't hit OR bite, has NEVER thrown a tantrum in public- he is 2) my sisters children I believe learned how to hit and bite eachother in day care, are very very rude, always throw tantrums for the littlest things at home and in public, AND are ALWAYS sick. Her son is 2 and her daughter is 4. That is another thing. My son is hardly ever sick and until he was around them I didnt notice it. My son is very very smart because he has my one on one attention and I feel like the children at the day care don't have that.

By the way I worked in daycare for 7 years so I know a little bit about it ;)
    Anonymous

• Yes, but you can teach your child ALL of those things at home BY THE WAY. With out having to send them to a nasty preschool. My son has TONS of interaction with other children and adults, he knows how to take turns, clean up, we are teaching him letters, numbers, shaped, colors basically everything and anything he will need to know before kindergarten.
    Anonymous

• Try a pre-school a few days a week or even some classes where your child is not with you to learn social skills. Stay at home or day care kids- they all love and thrive on variety... so if you find you spend a lot of time alone or without a lot of playmates, try some classes or a few days of pre-school. There is no one size fits all for kids so dabble a little and see what works for you!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 3:40 PM on May. 27, 2009