My daughter hurt her back?

I have a five year old daughter who jumped off the top of her loft bed and landed on her bottom. She instantly started complaining with her back hurting. She continued to complain at different times for about 45 min now she says that it feels better should I be concerend about this?

abbibaileylily

Asked by abbibaileylily at 3:25 PM on May. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When she landed on her bottom she probably jarred her spinal cord. she also could have strained the muscles surrounding the spinal cord. you may want to take her to the doctor and have xray or mri done to make sure she didn't really injure her spinal cord or muscles.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 3:27 PM on May. 27, 2009

• i would have taken her right away if she landed on her butt, for a child that small that is a big drop for them and their bodies are still fragile, call the doctor, see what they suggest.
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 3:28 PM on May. 27, 2009

• YES!! Please, take her to the dr for Xrays & an MRI. I was dropped on my behind when I was about 5. I came home crying that my back hurt... my parents never took me to the Dr.

Throughout my childhood, I suffered from back pain of varying degrees. When I was pregnant with my 1st, my back completely "went out" -- I couldn't put any weight what-so-ever on my right side (sitting or standing). It was miserable.

Long story short, I finally had an MRI & Xrays done after his birth. I have facet disease, degenerative disc disease, bone spurs growing into the spine, severe nerve damage, 2 herniated discs, a ruptured disc, and slipped vertebrae all in my lower back.

The damage is consistant with a "severe trauma" like a car wreck or fall down stairs (which I never had either) and has now become degenerative (aka - will progressively get worse the rest of my life) because it was left untreated when it happened.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:49 PM on May. 27, 2009