How do you keep a baby hydrated while walking outside?

I take a walk with my daughter every day around 5pm. She's in her carseat in her stroller and I'm pushing. I thought it didn't dehydrate her too bad, but yesterday I noticed that she was sweating up a storm after we got back. I don't blame her, it was friggin muggy outside and the damn carseat retains heat!

But I'm at a loss for how I should keep her cool. Could I get a mini fan and blow it on her? She's only five months old, so she's too young for a big cup of water. If I gave her maybe two or three ounces of water, would that help? I always feed her a bottle of formula before we go so she won't be hungry. Should I stop in the middle of our walk and feed her before going on?

Sorry for all the questions :P

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 3:38 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When I walk with my daughter, I always bring a wet washcloth so that I can wipe her down if she seems too hot. Another thing you could do is wet her hair before you leave and make sure she has nothing on her feet, socks and shoes really retain heat.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:40 PM on May. 27, 2009

• if she seems hot, having a cup of water on hand is always a good idea, or find a shady area to do the walking if you can! find a shady spot to park and have the windows slightly open!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:41 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Sweating is okay just dress her cool and offer her some water mabe a couple of ounces when you get back from your walk. Feeding her formula is fine it has some water intake in it.
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 3:41 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I draped a blanket over the top of the stroller to keep the sunlight from directly hitting my kids. As long as she's taking her bottles and sweating she's fine. It's when she stops sweating that she's dehydrated. If you're out for a longer period of time, I'd bring a bottle just in case. It can't hurt anything!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:42 PM on May. 27, 2009

• If its hot, she will sweat to cool herself off, if she is getting regular feedings with plenty of fluids she probable is not dehydrated.... Try to dress her cooler maybe just a onesie, and have your walks a little later in the day when the sun is going down or cooler out, like first thing in the am.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:42 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Dress her lightly, something like a diaper and a tee shirt or a onesy, and a light blanket maybe, and put sunblock on her, but keep the cover of the carseat over her to protect her from the heat of the sun. The air from you walking is enough and much more could cause her to get windburned. Like PP said, no socks and shoes, or eat least no shoes...socks should be enough for an infant who isn't on her feet. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:42 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I would give her a bottle about an hour or half an hour before you leave the house. don't let her eat then take her out in the heat. also, you can try juice. she is around the age where she can start having a little juice mixed with water. your baby won't dehydrate for being outside for a little while. when you guys come home make sure she gets some more water and juice. try not putting her in the car seat. the car seat is so restricting. just put her in the stroller part and make sure she is buckled in good. that way she gets more air to her body and put the shade over her. and make sure you dress her for the appropriate weather. and use some sunscreen in case the sun hits on her skin.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 3:45 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I had a baby carrier that allowed my baby to nurse while she was in it.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:45 PM on May. 27, 2009

And? What in the world does that have to do with anything? Someone walking for exercise is not going to want to have a baby hanging from her chest, that's bad on the back.
    Anonymous