My 6mo. old was sleeping through the night for the longest time and now he wakes up in the middle of the night sometimes he cries for a few minutes and goes back to sleep but sometimes he keeps going until i pick him up, could this be teething or is it just a phase?

martinsmom2008

Asked by martinsmom2008 at 3:42 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be either =] I think I read somewhere that if it goes on longer than a week it's teething. Have you tried Oragel at bedtime? I think someone on here said that was the only thing that helped their baby sleep well while teething. My daughter started waking up a lot more the week before her first two teeth came in. She's five months old =] After her teeth came in she went back to sleeping all night.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:47 PM on May. 27, 2009

• If he just wakes up all of a sudden and lets out a cry, then it could be teething. Or if you hear them wimper or let out a cry while they're sleeping, but they don't get up, that can be due to teething too. When my LO started teething the first thing I noticed is a lot more fussiness during the day, and waking up more at night. I also noticed diarrhea, chewing on everything, and more crying when he took a bottle because it hurt. Check for lumps on his gums, or any gum that feels like a tooth is going to break through. Usually if you rub their gums and touch a sensitive spot, they will pull away because it hurts. That's a good sigh they're teething.

Anonymous

• My baby is extremely clingy when teething.
    Anonymous