Headache and pressure in my head... any clues? This hurts really badly!

I woke up this morning with a headache. Neither my neck nor my shoulders hurt; this headache seems to be filling up my whole head. Sort of like the pain is filling up the entire area in my skull. I've eaten- so it's not low blood sugar (get those sometimes), haven't overworked or strained anything either. It does seem like every time I bend, the pressure increases in my head and it hurts worse, or when I breathe in and hold it for longer than a second or two the pressure increases and again it hurts really bad. No nausea, no flickering, no light sensitivity like you get with a migraine. It's just this pressure! I can only liken it to my head being a balloon and it's being blown up too much creating pressure inside. I also have a slight ringing in my ears.

Anyone had a headache like this? Got any clues what it is? I've been taking Advil all day - hasn't helped. I rested; didn't help. HELP?

PaceMyself

Asked by PaceMyself at 3:48 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Health

• If I had to GUESS I would say it sounds similar to sinus headache. Some days are more full of pollen and all that crap than others. Around here it's really bad, and if the weather is just heating up where you are it could just be hitting you. Where is the pressue exactly? Is a lot of it at the bridge of your nose and around the forehead? Is so, this is what my allergy headaches feel like. Alergies can also crop up anytime, so even if you have never done this before...don't rule it out. I'm not a doctor though, so don't hold me to that. The above answer could be spot on, but I don't have any idea what hypertension is like. If it isn't your blood pressue, try taking an allergy medicine like Claritin.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 4:01 PM on May. 27, 2009

• sounds like it could be high blood pressure. GO TO THE HOSPITAL and get it checked out. Severe and sudden headaches are rarely good. If you don't want to go to the hospital try lying on your left side for a few hours, if that helps then it's likely your blood pressure..
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:52 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I agree, i get them all the time and i have stage 3 hypertension (high blood pressure) Make an appointment with your doctor, those kind of headacks can cause problems with your nerves in ur neck and back of your brain..... I waited to long for mine and now have to deal with alot of meds and pain
    Anonymous

• do your eyes hurt and does it get a little better if you put pressure on the inside of your nose where your eyes are?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:02 PM on May. 27, 2009

• More like behind my eyes. If I pinch the bridge of my nose the pressure doesn't change and the pain is the same.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:09 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I would go to the doctor or ER. You may have high blood pressure like the previous posters said. i was thinking sinus infection/headache.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:32 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Well, there ya go ladies... I called the doctor's office..... they can see me NEXT week.... I lay on my left side for a few minutes and the headache got better - does that mean blood pressure?
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 5:05 PM on May. 27, 2009