Question on Swimming

Ok i have heard that giving swimming lessons to children at too young of an age gives them a false sence of security therefore leading to more drownings.. on the otherhadn i have heard that swimming lessons are benificial because they are introduced to the water. so what i am asking is, My 3 yearold is going to take level a (pre level 1) this year. and there is a mommy and me class that goes on right befor that for children 2 and under (3 year olds are placed in level a) do you think that if i start Harlm in Mommy and me he will get that "false sense" of security when he is between 1 and 3 (before he can take level a) thanks in advance for any imput....!

Bentley_n_Harlm

Asked by Bentley_n_Harlm at 3:49 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think teaching them how to swim early is a great idea, my daughter is 3 and can swim all by her self with no swimmers or anything, i still make her wear them but she dont need them. my son is turning one in july and has been in a pool since he was 5 months old (part of his therapy-doctor recommended) I think it has to do with each and every parent and child.... as long as you never leave them alone and are always there it dont matter what age you interdoes them to the water
    Anonymous

• I think it's a good idea for you both to take swimming lessons. My friend has a one year old and they take a class.
    KellyBelly89

Answer by KellyBelly89 at 4:44 PM on May. 27, 2009