How do you put your baby down for a nap? Do you put him down & leave or do you stay and wait for him to fall asleep?

Do you have to rock or sing? Do you just let him cry? Do you let him hold your hand? Does he fuss or go right to sleep?
Just curious how other Mom's manage nap time

MrsTommyB

Asked by MrsTommyB at 3:51 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I laid him in the crib, covered him up, told him good night and walked out shutting the door behind me. We did it that way from almost the very beginning.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:53 PM on May. 27, 2009

• i just let him cry it out it most of time is like 5 min and he is out. and we have a leap forg baby that playes 10 min of songs for him.
    badensmom

Answer by badensmom at 3:55 PM on May. 27, 2009

• it is the same for nap and bedtime. I put my baby down in the crib completely awake tell her good night and give her a kiss and walk out.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 3:55 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I lay with him, my son was 2lbs when he was born and came home weighing 3lbs7 oz so i have always laid with him to put him to sleep ot down for a nap
    Anonymous

• With my first I rocked him to sleep untill he was a year (pain in the butt) then I let him fuse it out (it only took him less than a week before he went to sleep on his own), my second fought me if I tried to rock him so I put him in bed and let him cry it out now he goes right sleep with little problem.
    Tarabella

Answer by Tarabella at 3:58 PM on May. 27, 2009

• For naps, I hold her almost like I'm breastfeeding, with her head resting on my arm and her right arm down between my arm and my side. I put her paci in her mouth and I watch TV while she sleeps. It's a welcome break from our busy day lmao, I'm cleaning pretty much all day when I'm not feeding her or giving her a nap.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:59 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Oh, and I'd like to add that my daughter takes really short naps, 45 minutes tops. There's no way I could hold her for two or three hours like some babies nap, haha.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:00 PM on May. 27, 2009

• my son is a champ when it comes to naptime and bedtime, but it took time to get him on a routine! I only laid him down when he showed tires cues then soon it developed to the "same time" every day and he just fell right into a schedule. once I lay him down I leave the room. he doesnt fuss anymore, but when he did I gave him only a few minutes. if it continued or escalated to a cry I'd check up on him, pick him up and comfort him. before 10 m/o it was usually due to him being hungry, having trapped gas, diaper change or just wanting to be held. i never hesitated, just went with the flow and he is a wonderful sleeper now!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:01 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Depending on how old your baby is, and how he/she reacts. If your baby is between 0-3 months i would put the baby down where it is safe and walk away, if your baby keeps crying for more than 10 minutes (they say 15 but i can never wait that long), then pick your baby up and call him down, then set the baby back in bed, and keep repeating this process. If your baby is 4-6 months i would set the baby down and just walk away, they will learnt o fall asleep on their own. If it helps put the music on.

babySTAR09

Answer by babySTAR09 at 4:02 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My dd is 11 months old, and I sit with her until she falls asleep (at nap times). At bedtime, I hold her for about 10 minutes, then lay her in her crib awake...she will fall asleep on her own. Maybe it's just me, but I could never let my baby cry and not respond to her. It eats me up inside. That's a big reason why I sit with her at nap times.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:23 PM on May. 27, 2009