Too much formula?

My neice has a 5mo little boy who is just the cutest (and chubbiest) baby you've ever seen! But he is REALLY chubby. He weighs about 19 1/2 lbs. She says that he's drinking 16oz (2 8oz bottles) at each feeding, several times a day. This seems excessive to me. The general concensus among family is she needs to start giving that boy some cereal (NO, not in a bottle, the way you're supposed to, with a spoon!) and then try out some foods. Are we crazy for trying to get this through to her? My 18mo weighs about 25lbs, but he's more than a year older! I worry about how many calories are in the formula. I think she said it added up to a little more than 1,000 calories a day. Adults are only supposed to have 2,000!

mmmommy0207

Asked by mmmommy0207 at 4:04 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well, each baby eats diff and weighs diffrent my son was 2lbs at birth and now at 10 months weighs 28lbs.... and my cousins baby was 9lbs at birth and weighs 31lbs now at 7 months, she needs to change the baby formula and add some oatmeal in it so it fills the baby up more and wont have to eat as much though out the day
    Anonymous

• wow I know all babies are different but my 9 month old only drinks about 6-7oz every 4 hours.
    Anonymous

• imagine the formula costs!
    Anonymous

• How many feeds? My daughter had 4 7 oz bottles around that age and food. So a totoal of 28 a day. So if he's only taking 2 or 3 feeds, it might be OK. Some kids just need more, though. And some kdis just like to suck and will drink despite being full for that sucking comfort. Also, food is not necessary in the first year of life, but is much fun and a great learning experience. I'd encourage her to ask her pediatrician about how much fomula is reasonable but try not to hound her. It'll make her less willing to listen.
    Anonymous

• I'd be interested to know what the pedi says about that.
    LisaNSienna

Answer by LisaNSienna at 4:19 PM on May. 27, 2009

• "The general concensus among family is she needs to start giving that boy some cereal "

What a nice family, to talk behind your neice's back!

If the ped says the child is ok, then he's ok. Stop worrying about a baby that is not yours.
    Anonymous

• I think that you should leave it alone. Why worry when a baby is healthy and happy with a wonderful appetite. That is just dramatic! I would think that people would only worry if the baby wasn't eating enough. You really should back off and stop talking about your niece behind her back. You may damage her self confidence as a mom and gossipying is not a nice thing to do. I don't mean to bash but ... take it from me! A long time sufferer of people commenting on EVERYTHING I do and challenging everything I choose to do with my daughter. Even though she is the happiest thing to walk this earth.
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:42 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Wow, I don't remember ever mentioning that we were talking about her behind her back. She knows we're concerned, and asked for advice. I wanted to see if other Cafemoms agreed with what we were telling her. She's a first time mom, and she's afraid to do stuff that isn't absolutely by the book. I've been trying to convince her that you just have to wing it sometimes, and that's what being a parent entails sometimes.

mummylovebaby, I'm sorry people have done that to you. I know it sucks to be talked about. But as far as the mommies in my family, we don't do that. I have 2 (almost 3) kids, and I call my sister for advice constantly (she's got 4, and she's a neonatal nurse) we try to help eachother out. But I've only got about 15 mommies in real life, and thousands on cafemom.

BTW: I think I've been on Cafemom for about a year, and this is the first time I've been bashed! Well, now I know what everyone's been talking about
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 2:16 PM on May. 28, 2009