Do you ever make any foods related to your ethnic heritage?

I'm a southern girrrrl and my fiance is Hispanic. I introduced him to livermush and grits and he introduced me to gallo pinto (Costa Rican rice, beans, and vegetable dish) and ceviche (fish and veggies cooked in lime juice). Now we can't eat enough of them xD

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 4:14 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Yes, we make holopshiss. Its a polish peasant food. Its a cabbage roll of sausage, hamburger.. and special seasoning- If I told you, I'd have to kill you. LOL
    casd

Answer by casd at 4:20 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Pirogies - Polish. I can make them, but don't eat them :P
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 4:21 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I WISH! i'm cambodian and i moved out of state from my family and i soo can not cook AT ALL.. i miss my cultural foods soo much.. the closest i can get to it is Thai food but there aren't any thai restaurants near by. the most i can really do is the jasmine rice...and eggs.. i miss my mommy
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 5:34 PM on May. 27, 2009

• ummm, I guess I would have to say no. Unless you count Boiled Dinner. I don't know if it is a northern thing or not?? (My husband and I both grew up in Maine) Also, I WISH they had seafood here (NC) like they do in Maine. NOTHING compares to Maine seafood.
    SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 7:15 PM on May. 27, 2009

• What is livermush??
    SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 7:16 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Yes, I do. I am Italian and make pastas, ravioli's, gnocchi. I am also German and make kielbasa and sauerkraut. I make Italian sausage with onions and greenpeppers in pasta sauce.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:25 PM on May. 27, 2009

• oohh!! I am Canadian, Boston, german, English and I married a Upper Michigan Italian, sryian,Finnish dude!! My kids are really mixed up. but WE LOVE ETHNIC FOODS!!!! ALL of them!!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:46 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I'm a heinz 57 we don't really know what we are, but my parents grew up on farms in the midwest so we had lots of meat and potatoes. I married an Italian whose mom never cooked Italian as she had so much of it as a kid. i love cooking Mediterranean and Asian so we've kind of adopted those foods although I pretty love all ethnic food Indian being my fave.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 11:50 PM on May. 29, 2009