My son is 6 mo. when should i start giving him table food such as cheerios,graham crackers and stuff like that? How do i get him to start picking it up on his own without depending on me to keep putting it in his mouth?

martinsmom2008

Asked by martinsmom2008 at 4:17 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not until he can pick them up himself and does not choke on puffs. Probably closer to 8 months before cheerios. Graham crackers are not a good idea until they're older, contain honey, and hard
    Anonymous

• If your baby can sit up on his own then it is safe to give him cheerios. I would not give crackers unless its the toddler biscuits that melt in their mouth. Does he have teeth yet? Put them in front of him in the chair and put one in his hand. He will get the idea. If he doesn't then he isn't ready. Try again in another week. My baby girl was the among the average developing babies described in the book, What To Expect. Check it out - it's very helpful. It's also on the web at: www.whattoexpect.com.
    LisaNSienna

Answer by LisaNSienna at 4:24 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I would wait a little longer then give him those puffs that melt in their mouth. I am not sure when you are supposed to give toast/crackers/etc. My 8 month old likes the puffs, but she can't seem to get them to her mouth!
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 4:26 PM on May. 27, 2009

• lol by 6 months he was eating cheerios and creenbeans...

but now hes 10 months and completly self feed.. including crackers and gramhcrackers...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 4:30 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My daughter started with the Wagon Wheels made by Gerber. they are something big enough to pick up and gnaw on but kinda melts too...very messy, make sure he is in a high chair! :)
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 4:43 PM on May. 27, 2009

• That's when we started. I used his hands to pick the food up with my hands guiding him...putting his hand with food in it to his mouth. It didn't take my three long to figure it out! lol

We also started offering bits of table foods, too. They were totally on table foods by 9 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:57 PM on May. 27, 2009