SHAVE HER HEAD??!?

my 14 month old was born with very little thin hair. its starting to grow in, but it's uneven (more on top, hardly any in front/back/sides) my family is saying to shave her head to stimulate growth. they say it will grow in thicker and more evenly. but i'm really hesitant because she's my little girl! and her hair is BARELY starting to grow in, i'm just getting used to seeing her with a little hair and i dont wanna shave it off yet. but i would like for her to have nice hair in the long run. i know it's basically an aesthetic thing.. which is why i'm stuck. "it's just hair so shave it off".. but "why would you do that to her just for nicer hair" plays through my head too. if anyone has any similar experiences or opinions, i'd really appreciate your input! thanks!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's an old wives tale. It doesn't really work that way. You can shave her head and her hair will grow back in just the way it was growing to begin with. It might seem thicker because the faster growing hair is now shorter and growing in with the slower growing.

Okay...that didn't make much sense. LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:47 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't shave her hair. I would just wait....have you ever seen a little girl go to kindergarten with no hair????? Ask your doctor if maybe there is a reason she doesn' t have much hair or if it is just going to take time to grow in.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:20 PM on May. 27, 2009

• NO WAY!!!! She will grow it, just be patient!

Get online and order some cute clippie bows. They make them to be able to stay in Barely there hair....lol

Get her some cute ones and maybe well meaning family will hush... ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:21 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My niece didn't get hair until she was around 2. It took off growing on its own and was so pretty.
    Anonymous

• Don't shave. My niece was the same. Now she has beautiful/thick hair.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 17 months and in the same boat...hardly anything! Some people have mentioned shaving it to me, but I won't do it. It will grow in it's own time.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 4:34 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Give it time. I looked bald when I was that age and so did my oldest. We are both fair and had very thin hair. Now my hair is so thick I have to keep it short to make it managble and it is the same for DD. For DD it really started to grow in good about 18 mos. to 2 years.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:34 PM on May. 27, 2009

• i wouldnt shave it a) too dangerous to have a razor by her head, b) its gonna itch and it wont necessarily work. but i would reccomend trimming the ends to even it up even if its just a little bit, cuz if the ends are weak they will break faster and it will seem like its not growing. (im a hairdresser btw) good luck! =)
    Anonymous