Start cutting out the formula?

My dd is 11 months old, and I would like to wean her from the bottle by the time she turns 1 year old. Should I start cutting back her bottles of formula little by little? She'll be one on June 23rd.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Start introducing the sippy cup right away. But not with anything but her formula. Replace one meal with the cup so she can start to get used to it. Depending on how well she does, replace another in a few days or a week. As for cutting out formula, use a little whole milk in the water for the formula and just increase the milk and decrease the water untill your adding formula to pure milk, then just add less and less formula. You may have to take up stock in sippy cups finding the one she will like. Don't give up if she dosn't take to one the first time, try the same one the next day. Good Luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 5:00 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Do you want to get rid of the bottle, formula or both? You can just put formula in a sippy cup.

There's no need to "wean" if she's taking a sippy, just get rid of the bottles.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:55 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I just read in a parenting magazine at the doctor's office today that if you start putting a little milk in the formula it really helps your child adjust to the taste of it.

I agree with Loves, Start replacing one feeding a day with a sippy cup instead of bottle and increase the feedings as your child gets used to it.

Good Luck!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 5:45 PM on May. 27, 2009

• OP

So, if I'm making 16 ounces of formula, I would use perhaps 12 ounces of water and 4 ounces of milk, then add the formula powder as usual? I'm trying to understand..I'm a little slow lol
    Anonymous

• You have the right idea. What I did was 1 oz milk 7 oz water and the formula powder for 8 oz to start with then each day I increased the milk by 1 oz and decreased the water by 1 oz. In a week I was down to just the formula powder to straight milk. I had some formula left and didn't want to waste it so I kept adding it to the milk. every couple of days I would decrease the amount of powder by one scoop untill I was down to one and then 1/2 then I ran out and she was on straight milk. But she still likes it warm, she dosnt care for cold milk yet (shes 17 months).This worked so wonderfully for us, no fuss or anything. Good Luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:27 PM on May. 28, 2009