Question for teachers

My son is due to start K in july he will be 5 in August I am starting to have second thoughts on whether or not he is ready. He is soo difrenet than my other kids he is not really intrested in learning his letters and things. I don't want to rush him. I know that I can wait another year. I just want to make the right choice plus he is big for his age so i worry that if i hold him back he will be teased because of this right now he is 4 but looks like a 6 year old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on May. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Teacher and mother here: My son is 5 and will be 6 July 29th. I am holding him back. He did a year of preschool-private kindergarten and now is doing a year of public kindergarten. The main reason I am holding him back is b/c of his age. He is fine academically. He is reading, addding, some subtracting. But I feel like he is physically immature.

It is RARE to meet a parent who regretted holding back, but you meet many in schools who wish they would have held back.

I would put him in a preschool setting this year and send him to public K. next year.

Also, have his eyes and ears checked. Sometimes (not always) but sometimes when kids show a disinterest in letters and numbers the problem ends up being a sight issue. Sometimes they are immature.

Also, get online at www.starfall.com and let him play. Kids learn best by playing and the games on there are GREAT for teaching letters, numbers and sounds! Good Luck!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:45 PM on May. 27, 2009

• thanks he does love starfall I would put him in preschool it is just to expensive. I was hoping to spend more time over the summer working with him he loves for his brother and sister to read to him. I also don't want to disappoint him because he thinks he is starting school

Anonymous

• Call your state or county board of Education office. Lots of states offer FREE preschool. They are aimed at special education but they usually try to get half special ed students and half typical students. My dd goes to one, totally free. Hard to believe right. lol

We live in Alabama. It is a great thing that is not widely publicized..lol If your state doesnt offer this, then maybe a head start (sometimes they are free or cheaper depending on your income) or maybe a local church. The one my son goes too is 100$ a month for a half day program. Check and see before you write it off as too expensive.

This way he would feel as if he were in school but would really be in preschool ;) just some suggestions for you to think about.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:58 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Oh, and if none of that works out. Find a mom and kids group that goes out. Most areas have some different kinds. But lots of groups get together with their kids and go to museums or movies parks...etc. Just to get him out and about with kids.

It might satisfy him for another year ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:00 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I'm not a teacher but remember - you can always pull him out if it's not working out and you can always have him repeat the grade again if you think it's needed. Why not give him the chance to rise to the occasion since you have at least two safety nets? He may surprise you and really excel.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:01 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Great Thank so much for the info
    Anonymous