Anyone homeschool their children?

I would like to home school my child, although he is only 11 months I would like to be prepared . How do I prepare myself for this and how do I go about doing it when the time comes?

Fairy_Wings

Asked by Fairy_Wings at 4:41 PM on May. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You don't have to have a school-aged child to join a homeschool group. Many of the moms in our group joined when their kids were toddlers or preschoolers. Check out the Happy Homeschoolers group here on CM. Lots of good advice.

You may want to see what homeschool books your library carries. That is how I learned about homeschooling, back when my kids were babies. There are tons of different styles, methods, and philosophies in homeschooling.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:07 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Find a homeschool group and see if they will let you "shadow" them for a few days or maybe a week or two. Watch and learn. lol.

Homeschooling takes lots of dedication and patients on the parents part. Its good that you are already thinking about it!

A local group will steer you in the right direction and help you find materials you will need, maybe loan you some books to read.....To find a group, check with your pediatrician or maybe a large local church.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:48 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I dont homeschool clara cuz shes to young, but i was homeschooled myself. My advise is to research it and to find an accredited school (if u are looking for a christian school, i recomment pensecola), after you research it a bit, i would suggest joining your local homeschooling group., i agree with the pp, homeschooling does take a lot of dedication.
    clarasmommy08

Answer by clarasmommy08 at 5:04 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I homeschooled my girls for a while, it was pretty simple. You contact the state you live in's Non Public Education Division for exact requirements but in host states you have to have AL LEAST a high school diploma & put in 5 hours a day of "school". For Pre-K, Kindergarden, First & Second Grades we used the books from Wal-Mart that are like $3.84 each & then suppliment with online stuff too!
    GOOD LUCK!
    GraceMarysMom

Answer by GraceMarysMom at 7:23 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Yes I do.

You have PLENTY of time, so my advice would be to check out books from your library & study different learning/teaching styles, get familiar with your state's laws, join some online support groups (someone already mentioned Happy Homeschoolers... I can recommend several more if you like), and then get in contact with some local support groups when your daughter hits about preschool age.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:09 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I have a group for secular homeschoolers but all homeschoolers are welcome to join, and we have over 100 links to online sources and a thread with summaries of several different homeschooling methods.
    contact me if you'd like to check us out
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:00 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I am homeschooling my 3 1/2 daughter right now. Mostly preschool stuff and might be moving on to Kindergarden stuff soon. Its because she school keeps denying us to get her in, so until then I am doing it all myself. But I am not in any homeschooling groups. Probably cuz official homeschooling doesn't start til Kindergarden because preschool isn't required.

Im interested in your homeschool group autodidact!!
    ladysylpher

Answer by ladysylpher at 10:21 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I'm homeschooling, and have been since birth. (I was also homeschooled, so I've had a bit of a head-start on it.) Join any local homeschool groups - I joined one when my eldest was very little, if only for the community aspect of it. There are also lots of groups online that can be great sources of ideas, inspiration, and resources.

In these early years, the best thing you can do over the next few years is find out all you can about homeschooling, the different methods and ideas. A good site to begin exploring is this one. Scroll down, on the lefthand side you'll see "Beginning Homeschool" which will probably be helpful, and if you scroll down all the way you'll see "Methods." If you find that a couple of the methods appeal to you, do some further reading on them. It can be overwhelming at first, but it is so rewarding!

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:53 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Oh - I suggest the very first thing you might want to do is read John Holt's Teach Your Own.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:58 PM on May. 28, 2009