tylenol

does it not work for anyone elses kids? my son has had a fever for the last three days, and he can only take motrin because tylenol doesn't work for him. . .

anyone else have this issue?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All drugs effect everyone differently. I know a couple of people who don't respond to tylenol. I also know one who can't stand motrin.

If his fever is under 102, don't treat it. Let it do it's work and he will get better faster.
    If his fever goes over 102 and won't come down with treatment - ANY treatment - then call your doctor. As I said, some people respond differently to different drugs. So try motrin. Try lukewarm baths. Try popsicles. If nothing works, then call his doctor.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:04 PM on May. 27, 2009

• If the fever is under 102 I don't give Tylenol or Motrin
    Anonymous

• Nope. Luckily Tylenol works for my boys. Motrin makes them puke.

Keep in mind there are some fevers (infections) more resistant to Tylenol. I mean, it might work the next time.

I have heard of other people (adults) for whom Tylenol didn't work. So it's not really that unusual, I guess...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:45 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Never....I would call his DR. My daughters Dr always tells us if she ever gets a fever that won't go down with Tylenol then she needs to be seen ASAP. But I don't give Tylenol unless it reaches 100.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 4:45 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Tylenol works but Motrin always worked better for us.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 4:51 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Tylenol is acetaminophen and its milder and safer. Motrin is ibuprofin and is bit stronger and lasts longer. I have the same issue with my daughter, tylenol works but only if the fever is milder and I give her only during the day as it wares out in less than 4 hours. I always use motrin for the nights as it lasts longer. In some cases only motrin has worked for her.But I am scared of giving her too much motrin. For some reason whenever I go to doctor and if she is running a high fever (more than 101) they give motrin . I have had that experience at an urgent care and 2 times in the ER and once at my physician. I guess doctors also feel motrin works bettter for high fevers!!!!
    SweKrish

Answer by SweKrish at 5:06 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I agree about the 102 thing somewhat. the most important thing is that it will cycle. the temperature should periodically go away to give your body a break. if it doesn't then she needs something. if giving her meds and a bath don't help she needs to be taken in.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 6:05 PM on May. 27, 2009

• tylenol never worked for my son, no matter how high or low his fever is. Tylenol doesn't do a thing for me either. I switched to motrin about a year ago for him. they make the baby motrin just like the baby tylenol, as long as you give the correct dose, I don't see where you should be concerned.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:29 PM on May. 27, 2009