Please help

My 10 month old daughter has had 7 ear infections since Jan. We have an appt with the ear, throat and nose doctor June 4, but currently she has so much fluid in her ears that she is really in pain. Her normal happy disposition has departed and she is now generaly unhappy, moody and doesn't want to be put down. We have her on augmentin for the ear infection, but that doesn't clear up the fluid. The real cure is tubes (and I know many people don't like that idea but she has WAY too much fluid in her ears not to do it). While we wait for June 4th to come, and I have tried to move up the appt, anyadvice on what I can do to comfort her? The antibiotics only help with the infection, not the fluid. The dr. said possibly a very small amount of benedryl could help dry it up temporarily, but she didn't think that really worked. Help, I want my happy girl back.

rabbate

Asked by rabbate at 5:19 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If its hurting her ears I would try some infant tylenol. My neice had the same problem and her dr told her that untill they got the tubes put in to use tylenol. I hope everything works out for the best.
    KaylynnsMommie2

Answer by KaylynnsMommie2 at 5:32 PM on May. 27, 2009

• You could try the ear drops they use for swimmers because it tends to dry up water in the ear Check at the drug store for the swimmers ear drops or ask your pharmacist. Also a warm blanket always made my daughter feel better when she went to sleep. I put it in the dryer for a bit before I put her down. I know what you are going through Good luck, hope she feels better soon.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:32 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My sister had frequent ear infections, as did I. My sister got tubes in her ears, but I didn't need them. My dad was told to put diluted peroxide in her ears to help dry up the fluid. But that was 25 years ago. Then when I was 8 I got really bad swimmer's ear and my infections got so much worse. Even still, if I get water in my ears, I cannot hear for hours. We used the swimmers' ears drops after that, and my infections didn't last as long as they seemed to before. I am not sure if the drops actually helped or I just believed they would help. But that's really all I have for you. Good luck! And perhaps, you could try the warm blanket on the dryer trick. I know it really helps colicky babies, but I think it would just be a comfort. That may help get her to sleep.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:38 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Please take him to a good chiropractor. There is a bone that they can very gently manipulate that will allow his ear to drain. My pediatrician won't even put tubes in until you have tried chiropractic. She rarely ever has kids that need tubes. It's worth a shot!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:37 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Sorry, meant her! Not him.
    apexmommy

• Have you tired eliminating diary? Check out Milk: Does it Really Do a Body Good?

"kids with ear infections often stop having ear infections when dairy is removed from their diets. This has been a key intervention in my practice. I have cared for hundreds of kids who have taken ten or even twenty courses of antibiotics and even steroids. They were able to cancel scheduled ear surgery because they got better when they stopped drinking milk and eating cheese. The ear infections just plain stopped for many of the children and for others they decreased to manageable childhood illnesses"

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:54 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Aww poor thing! Have they given you numbing ear drops? I don't like the fact of giving Tylenol day after day. When I worked in the medical field we worked a lot with ENT and sometimes you can call dailey and see if they have any cancellations. Also tell them how much pain she's in and maybe they can squeeze her in sooner.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 10:47 PM on May. 27, 2009