Is it better to leave the AC on at a higher temp or turn it off while you are gone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Off is always better if ou are conserving energy or trying to keep the bills down.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:27 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Turn it up. It does not have to work has hard when you turn it back down. Once it is off it takes the extra electricity and power to turn it on and get it started again.
    Anonymous

• Keeping your thermostat at the same temp, keeps your home comfortable with out running for hours to cool it back down. We keep ours set on 72 , 24/7 in the hot summer months in the south. the ac does not work/run near as long. Our old house was 2200 square feet and our electirc bill was never over 110.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:35 PM on May. 27, 2009

• ^ I concur. Keep it at one constant temp.
    it will be better.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:37 PM on May. 27, 2009

• If ur not home turn it on med level- not high- u can turn it up when u come home, or maybe u wont need to, to save energy I wont turn it off just turn it down alittle- just like with the heat when ur not home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on May. 28, 2009

• We have a programmable thermostat that keeps it lower at night for more comfortable sleeping temperatures and it goes a little bit higher during the day. When we are gone on vacation, we turn it off. When we are just gone for a day trip, we'll just turn it higher so it doesn't kick on as often.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I would recommend NEVER turning it off. When you turn it back on your AC is having to work extra hard to play catch up. I keep our thermostat on about 75 or 76 BUT we also have ceiling fans in every room so this REALLY does help. Also, my AC guy told me when I am not using the AC (spring/fall) that I can turn the fan on and it will also help circulate the air to keep it from being stale.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:23 AM on May. 28, 2009

• If you turn it off, it's going to have to pump twice as hard and twice as long to get the temp you want when you get home. Not a good idea. You can turn it up, just not off. I leave mine on 79 when were gone, 75 When we are there, and 70 when we go to bed.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 12:59 PM on May. 28, 2009

• Our heating and air guy told us to leave it on and at a constant temp. If it cools down for a few days just turn it up a bit. Turning it off and waiting for a heat snap to turn it back on wastes more energy and money because it has to run constantly for a long period of time before it reaches the temp you have it set for.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:00 AM on May. 29, 2009