Are there any MaryKay consultants here on CafeMom? I'm strongly considering starting that business as well.

Any advice or useful information?

His_Mommy26

Asked by His_Mommy26 at 5:27 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• As a financial counselor my advise is to be sure that you are suited to being a salesperson and that you have already proven to yourself that its something that not only do you not mind talking your friends and family, but also strangers into having parties, but also buying more than they might would do without prompting. Many women have people who are "excellent" at "selling (I mean talking others into becoming distributors, b/c THAT's where the money it) but that might not be in your personality to be able to do successfully. Unfortunately, MK like any other product does not sell itself, bc if it did, women wouldn't have to ask others to have parties, etc.

Also, you have to consider if the people that are in your circle have the kind of income to pay the price for MK makeup. If your friends and family usually buy from Walmart, you'll have to bump up the selling and convincing. Just keep this in mind.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:12 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Before buying, or commiting to sell, any products, be sure to research the safety of the ingredients. http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com

Answer by rkoloms at 5:39 PM on May. 27, 2009

• There are lots of MK ladies here...

But my advice is to find something else to get in to... MK is expencive to start and has lots of restrictions - quotas and such... I quit MK a LONG time ago, you couldn't pay me enough to go back.

Today I have 3 awesome businesses. Love them all! I'm with Ameriplan (www.DailyPayFromHome.com), FreebieForce (www.FreebieForce.com/SabrinaMBowen) & TeaPoria (www.BriesTeas.info) Let me know if you want any information!!

Oh, and chceck out my site, I have a MK lady on there. I'm sure she can help you if that's what you are looking for... www.Sabrinas-Closet.info

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:49 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Check out the business very well. DO NOT, however use the cosmeticdatabase web site that was listed above. Their information is not up to date and accurate. You should stand behind the products that you are selling. I used Mary Kay in the past and enjoyed them, however when I tried the Arbonne anti-aging line....I knew that is was different and was going to be in demand. I was right.
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 6:03 PM on May. 27, 2009

• hi im cheryl and i am a mary kay consultant I am currently looking for moms who are serious about making money. email me at cditren@gmail.com with any questions or message me here on cafemom, I'll be glad to provide you with all the information that you need and help you get started.
    cditren

Answer by cditren at 6:28 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Please don't believe that Mary Kay is expensive to start or that it has restrictions or quotas. With Mary Kay you can sell as little or as much as you want. The free gifts and incentives is enough to make you want to sell more though. I have been doing it for almost 2 months and I love it. Contact me via email at: lcoleman814@marykay.com and I will tell you everything you want to know.
    Anonymous

• His Mommy26, don't believe the hype. I'm not knocking Mary Kay, but there are quotas, I don't remember specifics for the length of time but if you don't sell a minimum of $200.00 whole sale every so often then you will lose your 50% discount. Read the fine print and be sure you understand what you are getting into. If you have the natural ability to sell and are a people person then you will probably do well. Mary Kay products are not that expensive compared to MAC and some of the other "high end" competition. The lip glosses are great and people love them, they sell like wildfire, I still use the lip gloss. The lipsticks did not have a lot of selling power because they do not last long when you drink liquids they come off and fade very quickly, they don't have staying power like some of the other brands. I love the compacts though they are they ultimate. Check out someone's Mary Kay website, try so of the products for
    Diamond64

Answer by Diamond64 at 8:42 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Check out some of the products for yourself, ask for free samples, some of the IC will advertise free samples. I never did because the IC has to pay for the samples, I did give them away though with a purchase. Check it out you may or may not like it.
    Diamond64

Answer by Diamond64 at 8:46 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I am a Mary Kay Director. I have build a successful Mary Kay business twice. (oversea assignment ) Since I've been on cafemom I see several posting Mary Kay cost to much. This is the deal - It is a $100 for a kit. Having product on hand is a business decision you make. If you want product great if not great too. Majority of Direct sells companies do not have on the spot delivery. Mary Kay allows consultants that flexibility to make your right now-today money. You have the opportunity as any other women to try your hand at Mary Kay. If I can answer any questions you may have how or if Mary Kay is for you, you are welcome to pm me.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 4:16 PM on May. 28, 2009