My son refuses to talk.... any suggestions?

My son turned 3 in Dec. He says a few words and thats it. He says hello but it sounds more like "hoe" lol, blue, ouch, me, yeah, no and other similar words. He also tends to like calling things by sounds.. for example he calls cats "meows" mouse is "eek" dinosaur is "roar" etc. He also calls everyone Ma, but knows the difference.. like his older sister - her name is Becca and he calls her Ma, but if you ask where is Becca he'll point. He points a lot. If he wants something or wants to show you something he just points. I've tried not responding then he goes off crying (And no I don't give in) He understands everything I say to him and I really think he CAN talk and just doesn't want to.. talks a lot of jibberish. By this point he should be talking in sentences. He was 3 months premature (2.5 lbs) and the doctors say he may develop a little slower than others. My DD was talking a lot at 2, he may develop slower but this much?

Lovejoy0303

Asked by Lovejoy0303 at 5:38 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would try using ASL. It's clear that he wants to communicate.
    OR i would try focusing on one word at a time. if he points at an apple pick up the apple and say "do you want the apple?" if he says yea or nods or whatever, say, "say apple." give him about 5-10 seconds to repeat the word apple. If he doesnt say apple say it again. "apple." ...do this about 5-10 times (depending on your patience) If he doesnt say the word, then he doesnt get the object. ...This is a technique used on many children with ASD as well as other children with developmental delays. ....
    Personally, I would try these two in conjunction. That way you could say AND sign the word. If you arnt sure about using ASL google some of the facts about baby sign. ...it might change your mind.

Good luck!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:44 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Instead of ignoring his points, maybe try coercing him to say the word for whatever he wants. Also, try contacting Early Childhood Intervention and they can evaluate and tell you what he might need or if he even has an issue.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:45 PM on May. 27, 2009

• also, i just wanted to add. ...if you say, "apple" and he says "abble" or anything that sounds like apple that DOES count. ...i'm sure that you realize that. but i just want to clarify. lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:45 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I agree with OutstandinLove totally.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:46 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Thanks for your suggestions... I have tried getting him to say things before getting something, usually trying to get him to say please. A couple of times he's said "peas" and got what he wanted... but usually if I tell him to say please he says no and laughs like its a game. Theres also things he used to say that he doesn't now.. Like "I want that" if I were to give choices in something... (of course it came out as "I won dat") but now he won't do that anymore... just the pointing (sometimes i want to tape mittens on his hands so he can't point lol j/k)
    I will look into the ASL and Early Childhood Intervention things though.
    Lovejoy0303

Answer by Lovejoy0303 at 5:57 PM on May. 27, 2009

• He's nearing 3.5 and should be doing a lot more. Yes, kids develop different skills at different paces. But - this is slow enough to warrent an evaluation and possible speech therapy.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:06 PM on May. 27, 2009

• He's too old for Early Intervention. Call your school district's special education department and tell them what's going on. They'll direct you and help you set up evaluations to see what he needs and then provide those services.

I'm a little bit shocked your doctor let it go like this without suggesting it to you.

OH, when my boys were evaluated, I was told they adjust for age up to 2 years. So by now they wouldn't adjust your son's age according to what I was told.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:12 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I would get his hearing checked and look into speech therapy.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 6:19 PM on May. 27, 2009

• i would look into an evaluation by the school dist. he may qualify for school services. i have a 3 almost 4yr old son he has Autism, but i started giving him vitamins a while back and he improved in all areas but the main one was in his speech. he still has a hard time but hes got it.
    omega-3(fish oil for children) flinstone mulitivitamin in the back youll see it have b-12 and magnessium(i dont think that how you spell that but you get the hint) and B-12 vitamin drops i put 3 drops(maybe twice a day) in his juice water or whatever hes drinking.it worked GREAT for my son. good luck you can always contact me
    Bellaaa

Answer by Bellaaa at 8:13 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Your child needs to be evaluated by a speech therapist. Premie's are often evaluated according to their "true age" and their "birth age" meaning they take the premature delivery into account. Even using those standards your son is developmentally behind where he should be at this age if the only language you are seeing is what you posted above. While it's true, your son is past EI age, there are other options. PA offers an IU (intermediate unit) program at no cost to the parents as long as the child qualifies. This is for children 3 - pre-K-garten. The trick is finding out if you have an IU system and which IU you fall under. In PA they do not follow school district or county lines. If you give me your State and county, I may be able to find someone to help. I beg of you, please discontinue with your current tactic of not responding. Your child is frustrated and it is only adding to his stress. Post info if interested.
    Anonymous