• In the Spotlight:

When do you start with a sippy cup?

I've heard people say that they did whenever their baby started holding their own bottle. My little girl has been learning to hold her bottle for the past month, but I think she is way too young for a sippy. She is only 5 months old! lol! I'd say probably by the time she is 6 months old I won't have to hold it for her anymore. What is the "real" rule of thumb for sippy cups? And what did you do?

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 5:51 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i introduced DD at 6 mos but she refused it i tried every kind out there. On mothers day (she was 10 mos) she took a few steps then crawled over grabbed her sippy and took a big drink from it and shes been hooked since! i guess they will drink from it when they are ready, it took me 4 mos to get DD to take it
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 6:05 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I introduced it at 6 months when my son was eating his baby food. i would let him play with it and give him a sip every now and then. Now, it's just kind of evolved from there and he uses it like a pro every meal
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 5:53 PM on May. 27, 2009

• with my oldest i started around 6 months.... and he was a champ at it...

with my youngest i waited until 8 months.. and now 2 months later we still cant get him to drink outta one...

just start with a soft spout first those are best
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 5:54 PM on May. 27, 2009

• my dd never had a bottle and i gave her a sippy at 4 months(one with a soft slow flow spout and handles) and shes now 7 months and still uses it great
    doosti

Answer by doosti at 5:56 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My baby just turned 6-months old and I'm wondering the same thing. She tries to hold her bottle, but she's not holding it by herself yet.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 5:57 PM on May. 27, 2009

• At 6 months we started teaching them to hold and drink from a sippy cup. In about 2 weeks they had it down pat so we got rid of all the bottles.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:07 PM on May. 27, 2009

• OH...none of the boys held their bottle before we started working with the sippy.
    TiccledBlue

• I started putting one out at 6 months and my son would play with it more then anything... At about 8 months he picked it up and started drinking and I took the bottle away that day.. I only use a bottle at night if he wakes up to eat.. Other then that he gets a sippy cup.. He's doing fine and the sooner you can get it away the easier it will be.... I would go with a soft top and two handles (they are the cheaper ones at wal*mart) or Nuby makes a transition sippy cup with thre different spouts that goes from one thats most like a bottle nipple and then one a little less like a bottle and then a ful sippy cup spout thats what worked for my neice..Just put it out there and see what happens... I'm not working on getting my son who is now 9 months old to drink out of hard spout sippy and it's a lot harder then bottle to sippy so I figure this will be something that goes on til he's a year ... Good luck
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 6:12 PM on May. 27, 2009

• i went straight from the boob to the sippy cup, around 9 months or so, water in the cup only, then progressed to cow's milk once my daughter was about a year old. i basically let her play with the cup all the time and she got the idea to drink out of it pretty much on her own. she never did catch on to the bottle, i breastfed up until she got enough teeth for me to say 'enough', lol, and weaning was pretty much an overnight thing, with pumped milk in the sippy cup half the time so that her system wouldn't get a shock over the switch from breast milk to cow's milk.
    i guess i'm not the best person to post on this thread, as my experience with sippy cups and my child was wwwaaaayyyy too easy, lol. the only downside was getting her to eventually not use a sippy and use a regular cup. she's nearly 5 and i've finally been able to throw out all the sippy cups in my house, yay!
    PiperStLennon

Answer by PiperStLennon at 6:37 PM on May. 27, 2009