HELP! Please... what is wrong with our kitten??

Yesterday morning our 9 week old kitten starting acting funny. She kept face planting into the floor, could not balance, could not walk straight, and was extra cuddly (she usually pretty much hates people). It has gotten better, she can get around now, but she is walking funny and still seems like she is about to fall over sometimes. When she walks she keeps her back legs competely straight and lifts them much further off the ground then necessary... our vet is not open right now so we wont be able to take her in for a few days. If she starts to get worse again I will take her to the ER vet a few towns over but does anyone know what might be causing this?? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Pets

• If someone cuts their whiskers it can cause something similar such as a loss of balance and walking funny. It's NOT healthy at all to do this to a cat, and no one should do it because they "think it's funny" to watch a cat act dizzy and quirky. It could be something she ate. Do you let her outside? There's no telling. Do you have any kind of rat poison or have recently sprayed a bug killer that she could have ingested? This is hard to find an answer to, but my guess is she ingested something, or either has an internal health problem. Call the vet as soon as they're open and ask them.
    Anonymous

• I just noticed you said she walks with her back legs straight, and keeps them up higher than normal.
    Cats usually do that when they have something stuck on their foot or leg. Check to see if she has anything in her paws, and feel her legs to see if she's sensitive in any particular spot.
    Anonymous

• OP here -- I'll give a little more info for ya'll... she has never been outside. We have other cats but they never come IN side. I was out of town yesterday when it started but my husband said he checked every room and found no sign of her getting into to anything that could have hurt her (don't know how she would have gotten to anything). He said his best guess is that maybe something fell on her but there is no evidence of that either... checked and nothing is stuck to her legs and I can't tell if she is sensitive in any spot or not cuz she hates being touched or picked up. And we didn't cut her whiskers or anything like that...
    Anonymous

• it sounds like she did something nurilogical to her spin or a head injury. if she jumped down and landed funny she could of done something to hurnt herself.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 9:27 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I agree, it sounds like she may have a nuerological problem.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 12:36 AM on May. 28, 2009

• they can also do this when a tail is broken right? their tail is their balance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 AM on May. 28, 2009

• The whiskers and tail thing is a myth.

Regular vet when they're open, to be sure, and keep us updated!
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 8:50 AM on May. 28, 2009

• OP her -- She is walking a little better today. And not falling over as much so she is improving. The only thing I can figure happened is what someone above said about jumping off of something and landing wrong. But I am very relieved that she is doing better! If she is not completely better by Monday when the vet opens back up I will take her in... Thanks ladies
    Anonymous

• I would have too agree also sounds neurological. Keep us updated . I would still take her to a vet just too be in the clear too see what they can tell you.
    Harley_Emmie

Answer by Harley_Emmie at 11:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2009