2 year old's 'older' attitude. Funny or Not?

My 2.5 year old seems to think she has grown up practically over night. She talks like she thinks shes a teenager. For example: earlier I was getting her dressed and I wanted to brush her hair and she wasn't having it, so I was holding her between my knees while I brushed her hair and she was swatting at my hand saying "Knock it off mother! Don't touch my hair!" Then a few minutes ago she was talking to her little brother who is 15 months old and she said to him "Stop crying right now, you're acting like a baaabyyy, I think you need to go take a nap NOW." Then she turned to me and said "Mum, put brother (this is new too, she now calls him brother instead of his name) in the crib, he needs a nap."

This goes on all day long. My question is when a child talks like this do you laugh? I try so hard not to laugh at her but sometimes it just sounds so funny when she says it and I can't help it.

Vsoul0608

Asked by Vsoul0608 at 5:56 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its cute now, but if you reinforce it....you might have a tiger on your hands by age 6 or 7.... I would teach her now to watch her mouth. lol ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:58 PM on May. 27, 2009

• normal
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 6:03 PM on May. 27, 2009

• yeah I would nip it in the bud. right now it's funny, but like mom2twobabies said, it won't be when she's older. My son is 21 mos && he is not quite speaking in full sentences yet, but lately when I tell him no or not to do something he will point at me and mumble as if he is talking back. Even though he isn't actually saying anything, he still gets punished for it && I tell him not to talk back to me, because I don't want him to think he can when he does start talking.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 6:04 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Cute, but unacceptable. In the long run I mean.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:05 PM on May. 27, 2009

• i agree with mom2twobabies and hismommysince07
    Where did she learn that? Tv? Older cousins?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:06 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Its okay to laugh with your head turned so she does not see you laugh, because she has said some doosies...... on the appropriate side of things, you need to show her who is the boss in a gentle and teaching way, while teaching her to respect other people.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 6:08 PM on May. 27, 2009

• whatever you do...dont laugh!
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 6:19 PM on May. 27, 2009