wits end over sippy cups....

with my 10 month old!!! we have tried soft spout< from nuby> nope hates them... hard spouts from platex, nope a no go... what else is there?

with my first we started them at around 6 months and he took right to them.. this time we wated until like 8 months and now 2 months alter we still cant get him to drink them....

he needs to be drinking atleat 8oz each of water and cranberry juice becuase he has a bladder infection... and i dont want to start that in a bottle

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2cuteboysrmine

Asked by 2cuteboysrmine at 6:11 PM on May. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• We used thr Gerber soft spout and the...I wanna say Playex take n toss disposables. Maybe try a straw cup to give him while seated.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:17 PM on May. 27, 2009

• i thought he was too young for a straw cup??
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 6:20 PM on May. 27, 2009

• don't use a sippy cup then, use a regular cup. thats what I did with my oldest DD and it was fine. she got plenty of fluids and loved it, there was a lot of spilling. but she would shake with excitement, she couldn't get enough of that little plastic glass we gave her. she had lots and lots of wet diapers so i know she was getting a lot of fluids with the glass.
    susan6xblessed

Answer by susan6xblessed at 6:22 PM on May. 27, 2009

• They have the soft straw cups that fold up and down for kids so they can't get hurt on them. You can try that and if that doesn't work they have ones that are white plastic but they are harder than the soft ones and softer than the hard ones.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:22 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I had the same exact heartache as you did.
    He HATED all sippy cups, even the softer ones, because if he tipped them, it'd still dribble.
    However: http://www.gerber.com/Products/NUK_Learner_Cup.aspx?PLineId=60decc66-4b21-45cd-a5ac-fc1fc2cdff10
    we discovered this one - he uses the NUK bottles and LOVES them, but he's using more and more of these. You can flip them upside down, and it won't leak UNLESS he sucks on them on his own. It's perfect.
    I would definitely recommend this one for the finicky babies. The handles are nice, and you can teach him not to use them too just by popping them off. And the nipples are super soft too, he mashes them while drinking to soothe his gums too.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:23 PM on May. 27, 2009

• If he is sitting and supervised, I don't know that there would be an issue. My daughter ha s drunk from straws when we go out since about 11-12 months
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:23 PM on May. 27, 2009

• im not worried about him being seated or anyting
    i jsut know our pedi dosent recomend straw cups, of any kind before 15 months....
    and a real cup is out of the question he drowns no matter how little is in the cup..
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 6:30 PM on May. 27, 2009

• If he is in a highchair or your lap, a straw should be fine. He just has to learn how to suck through the straw. Otherwise, give him drinks out of a regular cup. It may be messy but he needs the fluids. Also, if he is still taking a bottle, put the juice and water in the bottle. He needs the fluids and you need to figure out a way to get them in him, even if it is in his bottle. Don't let him go to sleep with the juice bottle.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:40 PM on May. 27, 2009

• im giving him the fluids.. in a emdicine dropper.. i refuse to give them in a bottle.. we are cutting back on bottles so no need to get him back up on them....
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 6:43 PM on May. 27, 2009

• well kids will not let themslef go hungry jsut switch everythign to sippy cup in a day or two he will start drinking from the sippy cup its harsh but some kids need a full transition others are okay with gradual. kids cna go with out food for almost a week and withoutfluids for two days if they are refusing them thats what my pedi said when my son was refusing todrink (he had an ear infection) i orfourse didnt belive him and did the same thign you are gave him flid in a medicine dropper OMg it takes so long to empty a cup two teaspoons at a time lol
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 7:40 PM on May. 27, 2009