What do you think of Lillith (sp)?

Sorry if I spelled that wrong, but I have a migraine. I was wondering what everyone else thought about her. Is she really as bad as the myths claim or has she just been given a bad wrap like most every other "pagan" god/dess?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 6:42 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Id never heard of her til a couple years ago, totally intrigued me.

Im in the category of made to be worse then she actually was.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:46 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I think she was exaggerated, but I'm also surprised she was removed because she falls in line with the misogynist bent. Much like the church around here that does the yearly sermon on why all women are Jezebels who need a man to keep them in line (and it's a female pastor that gives it). The idea of Lilith (or Pandora, ahem) just seems to fall perfectly in line with that mindset.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:53 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Who's Lilith? I've heard the name, but don't know what she is.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 7:24 PM on May. 27, 2009

• "According to Hebrew legend, the first woman God created
    as a companion for the first man Adam was a strong-willed lady
    named Lilith. (See Graves and Patai's Hebrew Myths and Reuther's
    Womanguides.) As both had been created from dust, Lilith considered
    herself equal to Adam. (They differed anatomically, of course,
    with the Bible referring to a male as one who 'pisseth against
    the wall' [1 Sam. 25:34; 1 Kings 14:10; 21:21].) Lilith objected
    to having to lie beneath Adam during sexual intercourse, but Adam
    would have it no other way. Lilith up and left him, winding up
    in rabbinic tradition as a baby-killing demoness who seduces sleeping
    men. Lilith is mentioned in Isa. 34:14, though the KJV renders
    lilith as 'screech owl.' This first wife of Adam may safely be
    called the world's first uppity woman.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:25 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I think its interesting, but I doubt it actually happened. Not that I'm going to be involved in a debate about it, lol. I don't think its that important, and honestly, there's really no way of knowing. I do find it to be an interesting idea, though.
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:45 PM on May. 27, 2009

• That it's all a story,and not a very good one,at that. The first woman God created was EVE! If there had been any others,God would have put that in His written word. It's not there, it didn't happen.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 7:52 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Wow IHARTU you actually appear intelligent when it comes to the jewish faith. Another religion you took on and discarded?
    I didn't think that Lilith was that bad, but then again she did sleep with demons, thats probably what got her to be a little denomic- child murderer.
    As for stvmen where do you think the word lullaby came from?
    It was to keep Lillith away from the children so they would be alive the next morning.
    Anonymous

• Ihartu, I looked up the scripture in Isaiah, and I find no mention of Lilith there.

I'm curious about this though. Are there any other places where she's mentioned? I have a NKJV Bible.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 8:43 PM on May. 27, 2009

• rhope4 - in Isa 34:14 references Lilith or "liyliyth" is translated as "screech owl". " The wild beasts of the desert shall also meet with the wild beasts of the island, and the satyr shall cry to his fellow; the screech owl (liyliyth) also shall rest there, and find for herself a place of rest. "

Some interpret the Bible's mention of the wife of Adam in the first creation story (Gen. 1) to refer to Lilith and the Bible's mention of the wife of Adam in the second creation story (Gen. 2) to refer to Eve. But that's not supported by Jewish rabbinic tradition.

Lilith's story has its roots in the medieval document "The Alphabet of Ben-Sira". Her story originally comes from Mesopatamian mythology, in which she is a night demon believed to prey upon children. As the story later became incorporated into Jewish folklore.

I think instead of giving her a bad rap, people have elevated her to a feminists icon/hero.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:06 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I have heard the name associated with feminism, actually. My aunt is a big feminist/hippie type. She went to a music festival of all female artists called "Lilith Fair".

Her story sounds similar to the way Satan was sensationalized despite not really being that horrible in the original story. Satan was mad at God for being egotistical and wanting all the attention...and Lilith was mad at Adam for the same thing. Interesting. :)
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:31 PM on May. 27, 2009