Kids and sushi.

Both of my kids (17 months and 5) love sushi ans sashimi. Even the raw stuff. (No bashing. I only take them to places I trust and the Ped. is on board with it. They said it was fine after age one if it was a place we knew and trusted) It's my sons first choice when going out. My question is: Does anyone Else's kids love sushi or are mine just weird :0)? And do you think they won't eat it anymore once they are older?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 7:07 PM on May. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Japanese children are fine, aren't they? In fact, the Japanese are significantly healthier than Americans due to their diet of raw fish, veggies, and rice. It boggles my mind that someone who question giving a 5 year old sushi, but have no problem giving the kid a happy meal. Encourage your children's open-mindedness!
    Sassinaglass

Answer by Sassinaglass at 10:08 AM on May. 28, 2009

• My nephew liked it when he was around one his mother gave him some, but doctors and most ped. say that eating sushi is bad for them even after 1. it has a very high amount of mercury in it and can be harmful tot the babies brain development. I am not tring to bash hon... really, i have worked in the medical field for over 15 years. I would wait til they are alittle older to eat that.. 5 years is good but 17 months is still very young......
    Anonymous

• My sons like the california rolls, with the cream cheese and avacado, and crab meat. The weirdest thing though is that my son (5) loves wasabi. He mixes wasabi and soy sauce (more wasabi than soy) and puts it on everything. He likes to dip his vegetables in it, and his spring rolls. He's been doing it about 2 years now.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 7:16 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Oh geez! that stuff is super expensive it's not like we eat it eat it every week...or month even.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:16 PM on May. 27, 2009

• my SD loves it!!! She goes with us every weekend she is here. Her daddy and I have a standing date and have sushi once a week. It is soooo good for you!!! I love when kids will try and enjoy new foods or "different" foods. My own two children are not big fans :o(
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 7:22 PM on May. 27, 2009

• if he likes it then why not and its good food fish is good raw vegis are good why would putting them together be bad people are so silly sometimes. my son loves fish i hate sushi so he hasnt tried it yet but if he likes it i would have no problem feeding it to him
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 7:44 PM on May. 27, 2009

• To the person who said that sushi has a high mercury amount, that is not true. Sashimi could but sushi just refers to the rice. My son won't touch anything with nori or any kind of nigiri or sashimi. He does LOVE Inari though (Fried tofu pouch stuffed with sushi rice). I wish I could get him to try the other kinds too.
    feministmama

Answer by feministmama at 8:01 PM on May. 27, 2009

• omg! ur kids are NOT alone! ... my son is DARING! and will try any food!! ... he likes mussels also , sushi , any thing really! we went to the grocery store one nite and i only had 10 $ on me to get what i was missing for dinner , he ran up and grabbed CRAB MEAT!! lol ... i kept telling him no lol .. but i had my debit card in the car so i bought crab legs for him! lol ... he'll eat just about anything , ummm lobster also .... u name it , hes tried it or likes it! lol
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 8:06 PM on May. 27, 2009