Cry it out method

My son is 6 months old, does the cry it out method apply to naps? He's been taking two 2 hour naps each day and is usually up 2-4 hours in between. Now he's crying even though I know that he's tired.

Does the cry it out method apply to naps as well, or is he maybe ready for only one nap per day?

ours

Asked by ours at 7:13 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeah the cry it out method works for naps, my son is 9 months and takes 3 naps aday for 2 1/2 hr each time..... he might need another nap in there too but it sounds like he is just so tired and dont want to give in
    Anonymous

• I tell you what... my son is 6 months and he doesn't take naps like he use to. I just let him stay up until he passes out during the day. :)
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 7:16 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Yes it applies to nap and bed both. If he is crying longer than you want then shorten his later nap in the day so he is up longer. Our daughter is 8 months and she can not sleep past 5 pm and goes to bed at 9 pm. She gets up at 7 and takes a nap around 10 and then again around 2.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:17 PM on May. 27, 2009

• How long should I let him cry for? I feel so bad I know if I go in there and hold him for a couple minutes he'll go right out.
    ours

Answer by ours at 7:19 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I am totally against the cry it out method. new studies are showing that kids that are comforted rather than left alone to cry are more confident and independant in the long run. I am guessing because when they asked for comfort in the only way they could communicate(crying) someone was there so they trust that someone will be there for them.Now of course this doesnt mean you cant let him cry a few mins and then pop in and say"its ok time for sleepy" or whatever, make sure he is fine and then go out again. I think he maybe tired, or may be ready to stop taking a nap at that time, or 2 naps a day. You can only try diff things til you figure it out.good luck and hang in there.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:21 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Ok well I'm not sure if he's ready for the cry it out method for naps...I feel too bad :[ It works at night but I'm just going to go in there.
    ours

Answer by ours at 7:22 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Sounds good. If you aren't sure, just follow your gut. I could always tell when my kids were angry crying or crying from exhaustion - I let them cry for a little then. If it went on for more then 5 minutes I would go in and pat them and let them know I was there. And then of course there are times that they just need held a little bit more!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:26 PM on May. 27, 2009

• If it only takes you a few minutes to get him down for a nap, I'd let it go. Just cuddle him down! It's a small time investment, and one you probably enjoy.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:34 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I'm all about doing what makes baby and mom happy. If you want to go in and cuddle him, then do it :) Him crying is not trying to manipulate you, it's telling you he needs you. Go be there for him.
    Anonymous

• I'm against the cry it out method, I've never allowed my children to cry it out, I guess there is a book about it now, I read about it in a post "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Janet Tamaro

It sounds like what I have done with my DD and DS

Good luck!
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 7:48 PM on May. 27, 2009