Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If my DF owes back CS

Will they take his tax return? Even if we file jointly next year? Can they take my money too? And even the child tax credit we get for OUR son?


Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on May. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (38)
  • your getting the wrong pictuer. mamakirs. she doesn't want the childs mother to get HER money. and you know what I don't blame her. It would be different if they child lived with them, but the child does not and I don't care wether the she marrys the man or not, That child is not her responsiablity, its the fathers. The fact remains that she dosen't want her OWN child to suffer and her because of someone she loves.

    I feel very very sorry for you. It honestly hurts my heart to hear a mother be so cold. I love my step children and would walk off the end of the earth for them. As a matter of fact I do what I can for all children. They are the innocent left behind by irresponsible and callous adults....


    Answer by soonmommyof3 at 9:01 PM on May. 27, 2009

  • yes

    Answer by mamakirs at 7:33 PM on May. 27, 2009

  • If you file jointly they will only take the money you DF earned. Your tax and child credit will not be touched.

    Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:34 PM on May. 27, 2009

  • They will take whatever he owes out of it. My DH owed the state for a parking ticket and they took our whole state return. So however much he owes they will take it, you shouldn't have filed together. You might want to get a lawyer if all the money gets taken.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on May. 27, 2009

  • OP here- isnt there something I can do so they cant take MY return and tax credits, its not like I am the one who owes CS, I dont see how they can legally do that

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on May. 27, 2009

  • You can file separately or not marry a dead beat and expect it to not effect you financially too.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on May. 27, 2009

  • My husband was behind on CS for a few years. I don't work. We have had our entire tax refund (overpaid taxes, earned income credit, child tax credits) all go to his ex. We have even had stimulus payments go to her.

    If you are also employed, and are due a tax refund, it should not go towards his obligations. If YOUR tax refund is accidentally touched while filing jointly with him, there is a form you can fill out to get your portion back.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on May. 27, 2009

  • Because you are filing jointly saying the money is that of your house hold, file separately and there will be no problem.... simple as that, it is part of marrying a man who has prior obligations.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 PM on May. 27, 2009

  • My husband owed back child support too, They took every extra pay check he got. He even the ones that were his company paying him back for hotel and meals when he was on an assignment. It was tough but now he is all up to date and we don't have to worry about them taking anything extra anymore.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on May. 27, 2009

  • OP here again
    Our state for whatever reason does not let you file separatly if you are married, not sure why but they require you to be legally separated to file separatly, but as long as there is some sort of a form so that they cannot take my portion and the portion I get for MY son I think we will be fine, BTW anon :41 he is not a deadbeat just the simple fact that his ex is a spiteful biotch and only wants CS to make his life miserable, so until you know the entire story I suggest you not call names

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on May. 27, 2009

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN