Must they, or is it a choice?

Is it part of the JW beliefs to go door to door and spread the word (meaning is it manditory) or is it personal choice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would like to know also. I personally have never answered the door for one because i dont answer the door for strangers (paranoid) so i have never had the opportunity to ask.
    pepsi_lover_mom

Answer by pepsi_lover_mom at 7:36 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I chased them off w/a hammer once. My boss traded magazines with them once. They gave him watch us go to hell and he gave them playboy. They never came back...makes you go hmmm
    Anonymous

• They want to convert you....BUT what I have against it is that this is NOT how you convert people, it's almost like "shoving" their beliefs down your throat and this is what "turns" people off of church and/or religion. Mormons do it too...If I want to know about God I go to my own church, don't come knocking on my door...
    GmaPam7257

Answer by GmaPam7257 at 7:56 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I just think its plain rude to go to anyone's house unannounced.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 8:27 PM on May. 27, 2009

• We were encouraged to train for this, it was scripted and everything. I don't know how they do it now, though. I don't remember it being mandatory to do "field work", but I spent a lot of hot days in the southern Alabama sun with some of the sisters from "the hall" getting doors slammed in our faces. :(
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:27 PM on May. 27, 2009

• lol gmapam having people coming to my door trying to teach me about their beliefs is NOT what turns us off of church or religion. People constantly having a "I'm better than you because I am saved" attitude, and telling us we are going to hell is what turns us off! Funny none of the JW's or Mormons I have talked to have told me I was going to hell, it is usually the Baptists

Anonymous

• I am pretty sure it is a choice, but some might feel like they are looked down at if they do not do it. They do it though because the Bible say we should. Matthew 28:19-20 (KJV) "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen."
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 8:39 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Growing up, my grandmother would always tell us to hide when they came to the door so they'd go away. I thought they must be evil or something, why else would we hide? lol....anyway, a couple of years ago, I went outside and talked to them when they came up and we actually had a nice conversation. They explained to me what their beliefs are, and I explained to them what mine are. We were very civil to one another and I got a much better understanding of why they go door to door. Their belief system partly comes from the Bible. They literally interpret that to get to heaven, they must do many good works. And, one of those good works, is going door to door and spreading their beliefs. They're not being rude or anything, it's just what they believe. I didn't change my Christian views, but they were extremely respectful; and they probably didn't change their JW views, but I was very respectful of them. Funny though, they haven't
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:46 PM on May. 27, 2009

• haven't come back to my house since that conversation. I guess they just need to try to change points of view, and if they can't, they move on to someone else.
    lighthousemom3

• Both... They are highly encouraged to. This is because one of the only "rules" that Jesus gave to his followers was to spread the word and continue his ministry... That is just what they do. They are not forced to. And many do not, for what ever their reasons. But as a general rule they are all asked to. Many do not go door to door but do other things to fulfill their ministry, be it phone or mail or even email ministry. And then there are those that travel the world to do it... It's a personal choice that is encouraged by the organisation.

Learn the unbias truth about this and other religions at www.CafeMom.com/group/endreligioushate

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:25 PM on May. 27, 2009