Thinking about buying sewing machine and learning to sew any tips?

What all will I need to buy? I would love to make a quilt. Any suggestions for a first timer? What is a good sewing machine to buy that is not too expensive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• If you think you'll do alot of sewing I would go with a pricier brand, Husqvarna Viking, Pfaff, or Bernina. If it's just going to be once in awhile, a brother or singer from Walmart would work nicely.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 7:54 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I don't know the first thing about sewing machines. I inherited my mom's old Brother sewing machine when she died. It's a good little machine that has lasted me almost 9 years (on top of who knows how many years my mom used it). I would buy an inexpensive machine first then work up to something nicer.
    I started out quilting and my suggestion is start small. I still only make baby quilts because they are easier to manage and can be made in about 2-3 days (depending on how long you work on it). My first quilt was 5" squares done in diagonal stripes. I copied a blanket I already had. It was years before I moved on to more complicated things. Now I make my kids Halloween costumes.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:27 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I actually think you should start with something smaller and cheaper.. not more expensive. If you are just starting, aim for one of the $50-100 brands of sewing machine, it will be simpler to learn on and wont be such a hefty investment if you decide its not your cup of tea.

I have been sewing since I was 6 years old.. I have two machines right now. I have a serger which cost over $1200 that I inherited from my grandma, and I have a kenmore that was only $80! I use the kenmore for almost everything.. the serger is so complicated and such a pain in the butt to thread that I avoid using it at all costs. My Kenmore has lasted my 5 years and no problems yet!

As far as just starting out and trying some simple projects.. cotton is a wonderful material to learn on because its forgiving.

LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 9:37 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I have been sewing for 20 years now and my favorite machine is Brother. I started with the little one that just did 11 stitches, then my father-in-law wanted to buy me the 'best out there' for my birthday. We went to the Husqvarna dealer and I tried every machine they had and hated every one! I went to the brother machines and got the sewing/embroidery combo (it came pre-loaded with Disney patterns) and I love it. My machine is a fraction of the price and has all the cool doohickeys, self threading, touch screen, and well over 80 kinds of stitches. I agree with starting small. If you can complete a project in a reasonable time you will have more confidence and will keep it up. Have Fun!!!

NWIndianaMomof4

Answer by NWIndianaMomof4 at 9:00 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I bought one from walmart. It was about $100. I make my kids costumes and some easy curtains for the windows. I'm going to try to make my little girl a simple dress and see how it turns out. I guess practice makes perfect.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 11:57 AM on May. 29, 2009