Has your kid ever forgotten?

So today I took my boys (3 and 5) out to the pool. Neither of them knows how to swim yet. They both have life vests that they wear in the pool. My 5 year old can swim all around on his own with his vest on, but my 3 year old is just starting to get the hang of it. Anyways, I made my 5 year old take the vest off, so I could start working with him on swimming without it. I took him a little ways away from the steps, and told him he had to swim back to them. He barely moved, and I ended up pushing him more times than he actually swam, but the point is to get him less afraid of trying. All in all he did well for his first attempts.

Well, when I said it was time to go, he freaked out, and decided to jump back in the pool, forgetting that he didn't have his vest on. I was right there next to him. I waited a few seconds to see if he could make it back to the side without help, but then I reached down and pulled him up.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 7:53 PM on May. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• So Has your kid ever forgotten that they don't know how to swim, and jumped into the pool?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 7:54 PM on May. 27, 2009

• No, but you should enroll him in swim lessons.
    Anonymous

• I can't afford swim lessons, but I'm confident that I can him swimming by the end of this summer if I just work with myself. He knows how to hold his breath, and he's not afraid of going under the water. He just doesn't quite get how to propel himself yet.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 7:57 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My son did that when he was like 2 1/2. Luckily my dad was standing next to the pool and pulled him back up. He was a little shaken but wanted to do it again, lol. That was 5 years ago and now he jumps off the ladder and swims underwater. We have a 4' pool and he's been able to touch since last year so he has a ton of fun in the pool. He's learning to do the doggy paddle now so that he can actually swim. He's never had lessons just lots of time in our pool.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:58 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Well good for you, hot momma on helping him learn how to swim! WOO.
    I believe that, with kids that young, it's much more fun and benefitial for a parent or someone they love, trust, have fun around, etc to get the hang of something new when it's taught by said person. (I think I just went full circle with that sentence? How redundant...)
    I plan on teaching my son how to swim.

It's kind of like... "You should enroll your son on how to piss in the toilet."
    Why? If you know it yourself, and create memories with your child, why would you enlist someone else to? :/ They get more hands on experience too!
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 8:00 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My 2 year old walked right off the edge into the deep end once. I will never forget that. I was standing beside him and can clearly remember telling myself, "throw the camera down, steve's coming, he will get him, no, michele you are closer, JUMP" I know it was only a split second, but it was horrible. I grabbed him and lifted as I was still going down after jumping in. I came up and he was sputtering . . . And LAUGHING!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:01 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My kids never forgot, but my youngest was always pulling off his floaties. He'd pull them off, and then panic b/c he couldn't swim yet! At the time, it drove me nuts, but now looking back I laugh. And you don't need to put him in swimming lessons. I taught both of mine to swim, and they both do great! Why pay someone to teach him what you already can? You are doing just fine.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:26 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Thanks ladies! Actually a couple weeks ago my 3 year old fell in the water without his vest on too. He was walking along the edge, and there were 4 adults watching him. He circled the pool about 4 times, then my older son started making a scene, everyone took their eyes off the little one for a second, and in he went. I saw him fall from the corner of my eye, but the splash is what really got my attention. I walked over, and he was right by the edge, just looking up, a little panic on his face. I was able to just reach in and grab his hand without going in myself. It took him about five minutes to get over, and start circling the pool again.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:01 PM on May. 27, 2009

• michele--I had a moment like that with my now 6yo. She was about 3 1/2 and we were at this creek near our house that we always played in. My husband decided to explore a different spot and we didn't realize that section was actually pretty deep (3-4 feet deep) and steep on the banks. She slipped and went into the water. I was about 10 feet away holding the camera and just panicked. I kept telling myself to throw the camera down and get her but I couldn't move. My husband was about a foot away and had our newborn in his arms. For a split second it looked like our 4yo son was going to jump in after her but he couldn't swim either. Finally my husband ran over and tried to grab her. She almost knocked him in as she flailed around but he finally got her out, both covered in mud. and soaking wet. It took her 3 years to get over that and go in deep water again. Just mentioning the creek brought her to tears for years.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:45 PM on May. 27, 2009

• You can teach him! You don't need to pay for lessons.
    When my brothers and I were little we didn't take lessons, we just went into the water and learned naturally.
    Eventually, when he's older, you may want to consider enrolling him in a water safety course so he could learn some important things that you may not think about.
    For right now, you are all the teacher he needs.
    Best wishes mommy and have fun!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:49 AM on May. 28, 2009