What do I do when my baby rolls in the night?

My daughter is 3 months old and last night she started rolling in the night. I'm afraid of her getting stuck on her stomach and not being able to breath. I know in the "old days" they used to tell you to put babies to bed on their bellies but now that is a "no-no". I just want to do the right thing.

HolliBerry21

Asked by HolliBerry21 at 7:54 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She has the motor skill to get out of trouble if needed. You put her down on her back. Then you let her get comfy however she wants. For newborns, that means they are stuck on their backs. But as a baby develops muscles and skills, that means they can roll over.

http://www.sidsalliance.org/new_exp_parents/new_exp_rollover.html
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:58 PM on May. 27, 2009

• IF she is doing it on her own then she can control it and you can't. Is she rolling over from back to front and front to back or just back to stomach? She will be fine if she is doing it on her own.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:56 PM on May. 27, 2009

• If she can roll than it doesn't matter anymore. She will be just fine. The whole no no for the tummy is when they can't roll because then if they are stuggling breathing they can't roll over. Once they are rolling if they have trouble breathing they will just roll back over. no worries!
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 7:56 PM on May. 27, 2009

• If they were rolling, we let them.
    We NEVER rolled them back to where they started out.

Not to mention, how often in the night are you going to wake up to check to see if your child hasnt rolled? Every 30 mins? Every hour? Every two? It could totally blow your mind and make you a walking zombie if you do that.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:58 PM on May. 27, 2009

• As long as she can lift her head then she's ok, she knows when she cannot breath, but just to be on the safe side we bought a baby sleep positioner, it's so they can't roll over and it helps with air flow, it keeps the baby cool. I don't know how but thats what it says it does. We used it for both our children, we also used it when they slept in the bed with us, it kept them from rolling and us from rolling.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 7:58 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My brother and I slept on our bellies and that wasn't that long ago.
    Anonymous