What is the strangest thing you have done in an act of desperation?

Last night my son (10 months) would not go to sleep after waking up at 1 am. I tried everything, it had been an hour and a half. Every time I got him to sleep he'd wake himself up, sit up, and start crawling for the edge of the crib so he could stand up and cry. I was at my wits end so.... I climbed into his crib and laid down in there with him! I was really strange to lay in a crib as an adult. Anyway, it didn't work and I finally ended up bringing him into my own bed which meant that I had a lousy nights sleep because I am always half awake when he's in there with me. I am so nervous that something will happen to him!

So, your turn. What is your crazy act of desperation? (successful or otherwise!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• When DD was an infant she had colic and the only way she would sleep is if we put her in her baby bjorn and walked. If we took her out and put her in her crib she would wake up. One night out of desperation because of very little sleep from previous nights of sleep deprivation we decided once DD fell asleep to slip off the baby bjorn from Dh and attach it to the clothes bar in the closest in our bedroom. We got her hanging in the closest saw the error of our way and busted out laughing she woke up. If CPS found out we did that they probably would have taken her away. We still think it's funny.

twilite2000

Answer by twilite2000 at 9:41 PM on May. 27, 2009

• When my son was 4 years old he was in a very mouthy stage one day while driving I pulled the car over and said very sternly "this is MY car and you will not talk to me like that in my car if you don't like it get out and walk" he is also defiant in the way that he might have gotten out just to "show me" thankfully he said 'no mommy I'll be good' because we were about 3 miles from home on a very busy main road with a 55mph speed limit so following through would have meant me driving behind him taking forever to get home!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:55 PM on May. 27, 2009

• holy crap! i don't think i would have thought to get in the crib. i only weigh about 114lbs but i would be terrified that it would fall apart.
    anyways, i have slept on my childs bedroom floor before because my husband was being an asshole and he was drunk, and i didn't want to bring my son in our bedroom, our son was having a really rough night, so i slept on a hardwood floor with just a blanket so he could sleep. i was pretty desparate at that point.
    Anonymous

• I once put cotton balls in my ears and then earmuffs over that trying to drown out my kids arguing. We were all having a very bad day and they shared a room at that time, so separating them wasn't too easy...
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 9:02 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Um...I have often slept in a toddler bed so has my 210lbs hubby. I once though, after a night of cyring (him and me) and not sleeping. and him pulling my hair, I cut my own hair super short, like above my ears, in the bathroom. I was so upset the next morning.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:02 PM on May. 27, 2009

• When I babysit my niece/nephew and they begin crying in the middle of the night...the worst thing I've done (out of desperation, of course) ...was take them back to their parents house, lol. That only happened once or twice, ha ha ha.
    mvaigafa

Answer by mvaigafa at 9:42 PM on May. 27, 2009

• OMG Twilite that is so funny! Well it's really only funny because you realized how crazy the idea was and didn't try to go to sleep :) It's crazy the stuff that goes through your head when you are just at your wits end! I have climbed into my sons crib, I've brought him downstairs and slept on the couch with him all night, one night I put him in his playpen and I went to sleep on the couch and just let him play until he got tired!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:45 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Gosh I can't think of anything right now. My best friend used to sleep with her daughter in the crib quite frequently. Twilite I loved your story. That's great!
    Debbie062008

Answer by Debbie062008 at 9:53 PM on May. 27, 2009