Want to introduce Sunday School to my child....

My daughter is 17 mo. old now and I would love to take her to a church for Sunday School. I used to go when I was a child and my parents let me stop going when I didnt want to go anymore. I have never followed a religion before but have always believed in certain things. I am completely open to listening about someones views and would never be disrespectful to anyones thoughts/beliefe just because I may not see eye to eye w/ them. My question is which type of church would be best for us? I may not make it every Sunday so I want a church that is okay w/ that and I do not believe that I am ready to completely throw myself into strictly following a religion at this time in my life but again am interested in listening and thinking. Any thoughts would be great thanks :)

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 8:52 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with jasesmommy0529. I take my kids to a Baptist church too. We don't make it every Sunday either, but when we do, we all seem to feel better for the rest of the week. My 6 year old's class learns Bible lessons each week and then color a picture or something. My 10 year old's class learn Bible lessons and memorize verses. My oldest is in the Youth Group (she's 15), and they do much more indept studying of the Bible and apply it to their every day lives. I think it's a good thing to raise your children in the church. Try out a few...find the one that makes you feel the most welcome and most comfortable, and stick with it. You'll be glad you did.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:13 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I personally cant tell you what would be best for you. I can tell you that I think you need to pick a couple and try it out. I know I was raised Methodist, but it got to the point where I couldnt stay awake and my son didnt like to go, so I changed churches and went to a Baptist church and we love it! Its amazing!! So my advise is to just try a couple, and see what you think!! Good luck!!
    jasesmommy0529

Answer by jasesmommy0529 at 8:57 PM on May. 27, 2009

• We go to the Church of Christ. It's a nondenominational church and we love it. However just as it is with ANY religion it is going to be different from church to church on how they do things. Like in our area there are 3 Church of Christs that we could attend but ours is considered to be the most 'laid back' I suggest looking into a few different churches before you decide which one to stick with. When you walk into a church and get that feeling of being welcomed and that your comfortable in then that would be a good choice to invest more of your time in. It's all about 'shopping around' :) GL
    BTW some of the things we looked for in the church to attend was; the number of members, the number of children our sons age, the number of couples we could relate to, the activities they have to do aside from just church services,etc. You can find a member there and ask them all your questions about each certain church. Again GL :)
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 9:24 PM on May. 27, 2009

• My advice would be to call various church offices and ask if they have a children's ministry director, be that a paid or volunteer position. If they do then ask to speak to them, that will tell you a lot about the church and their view of children. Ask some questions, for example, is a child as young as yours going to even have a class...often under two they are just in nursery playing.  If they have a class what is a typical class schedule?  While children under two can learn simple lessons and do simple art work they don't need heavy highly structured lessons either.  How many teachers are in the room.  Ideally you want a 1 to 4 ratio.  Now that might include helpers such as high school students, but there should be an adult present at all times.  They should be willing and able to answer any question you might have.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:34 PM on May. 27, 2009

• We are Lutheran and we love our church. It is very family oriented. And that makes it a great place to be. There are sunday schools for many ages. 17 months would still be in the nursery, but you could go to bible study too. And in our nursery they listen to bible stories, watch Veggie Tales and hear christian songs.
    Katie911

Answer by Katie911 at 12:00 AM on May. 28, 2009

• My kids love our Unitarian Universalist church, the RE (religious education) program is really nice. If you are still figuring out your religious beliefs it might be ideal for you, as well. It's a great place for seekers as well as committed UUs.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:39 AM on May. 28, 2009