Why is my 2 year old son acting like this???!!!???

So he's always been a little clingy but in just the last few days he's been horrible. I can't stand up and he's holding on to my leg or shirt whining and crying. If I sit down he has to be on my lap, at my feet, or right next to me. If I go to the bathroom or in my bedroom which he's not allowed in he sits by the door screaming and banging on the door. he gets so hysterical he makes him self sick or starts hyperventilating. I also have a 3 month old son whom I breast feed. I don't know how much more of this I can take.I don't know what his problem is. He can't talk yet and he's seen a few doctors for it. Were in the process of getting him into speech therapy.

kaylaylshfr

Asked by kaylaylshfr at 8:57 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe he is jealous of the baby and is feeling a little left out??

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 9:02 PM on May. 27, 2009

• He's probably jealous and having trouble communicating with you. Try and give him some extra special attention while baby is asleep and then also include him when you are taking care of the new baby.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:25 AM on May. 28, 2009

• I hear that babies and toddler go through separation anxiety at all ages. Maybe since you have this new baby he is feeling insecure, like he is second in line now. I know that babies need a lot of attention but maybe you can try and make special time when baby sleeps. Make it all about him and have him sit with you and read him a book while you are breast feeding (you can always cover yourself if need be). Ask him to help you with little tasks with baby and say out loud to the baby that it needs to wait a moment while you do something for your toddler etc. I suggest that while he is in such a fragile state don't close doors on him. Be sensitive to his little feelings but try and encourage him that he will be alright.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on May. 28, 2009

• LOL. How sad that a mother might feel the need to shelter her toddler from her BFing the baby. We couldn't possibly teach the toddler that this is what breasts were intended for and help him have respect for women.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on May. 28, 2009

• hey hun. idk alot about the subject, but i think all moms know its not called terrible 2's for no reason. i read about a little & its really the way it is because kids are truely an emotional wreck at that age (its not actually them its just the brain). lots of ups & downs & odd behavior u've never seen b4. alot of unjust tantrums followed by being the most loving child u've ever seen. its really all normal. the stuff u mentioned is prob. contributing to it too. its prob. frustrating for him, not being able to communicate the way he wants to. i know u said u're going to bring him to speech classes. u mite want to try sign language in the mean time. i personally think its a God send. my daughters been signing since she was 7mo. i dont want to imagine how life would have been w/o it lol. they have lots of sites that teach u basic words. u should check that out. & always make special time for him w/ & w/o the baby. good luck hun.
    remaining_me

Answer by remaining_me at 4:12 PM on May. 28, 2009