Any input on an explosive tantrum throwing 6 year old?

My normally stubborn daughter ahs just recently turned into a nightmare. In the past several weeks her tantrums have turned into marathon episodes of screaming, insult shouting, throwing and violence. She is seeing the school councellor (on my request) and she thinks that Meggie has alot of anxiety and OCD tendancies and has referred us to a child psychologist also. The 'fits' are so out of control that I am truely scared by them and don't even recognise mmy daughter when she is having them. Our entire family is upset and worried.
Does anyone have a similar situation and can anyone suggest any books or websites with more info on this issue.
I pray that anxiety or OCD are really all that is wrong and that the therapy will help us get to the root of the problem and that it is not something more seriously wrong like childhood bipolar.
HELP!

keeperof2

Asked by keeperof2 at 9:18 PM on May. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I know it seems young but could be the start of puberty kids are starting younger and younger

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 9:20 PM on May. 27, 2009

• i wouldnt even think puberty. ah. what a nightmare
    If you are worried about her safety during her tantrums or the safety of those that are near her that can not get away, restrain her. You have to learn how to do it properly otherwise she could still hurt you. Try to find your local behavioral therapist and ask for a demonstration or something. If she is generally safe when she throws a fit walk away. You might even say something like "Ouch. That really hurts my ears". Or you might not even want to say anything. just walk away. Make sure that you can still superivse her, but as long as she is not getting the reaction that she wants then sooner or later the tantrums will stop all together.
    Good luck with your daughter. I wish i had some sites or something. but i dont. good luck.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:39 PM on May. 27, 2009

• What are the results of such actions? Does she get what she wants or what she's upset about or does she get punished? It could easily be a controllable factor in regards to her doing it simply because she doesn't get her way.In which case you can just walk away and ignore her. If she throws insults, etc. PUNISH HER
    Anonymous

• she does not get what she wants from the tantrums and just gets herself in more and more trouble with the worseening of them. Punishments, priveledges taken away, the works. The only thing i can see that she is getting out of all of it is our undivided attention for the duration of the 'fit;.......but in our defense they are really really bad and I'm afraid to walk away from her that she'll hurt herself or break something.
    keeperof2

Answer by keeperof2 at 9:01 AM on May. 28, 2009

• She should get punished each and every time she acts out this way. Period. I don't know if you believe in spanking but such behavior would warrant one if you did. Or make her stand in the corner...
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 4:25 PM on May. 28, 2009

• she definitely get punished and has priveledges taken away because of every tantrum or unacceptable behavior. I definitely don't let her get away with them.
    keeperof2

Answer by keeperof2 at 4:55 PM on May. 28, 2009