What is your definition of a Christian?

I was reading some posts and saw some people accusing others of not really being christian. So, I was curious what do you use to determine that accusation?

IzzeAddy

Asked by IzzeAddy at 9:44 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Someone who believes that Jesus Christ is the son of God and accepts Jesus into their hearts and lives. Who has a personal relationship with God and (this is the major difference) one who tries to walk in Jesus's path. To be as Christ like as possible.
    That is a true Christian to me.

And i am not Christian. lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:46 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Someone who follows the teachings of Christ. To me, it's just one form of religion under the one God. That is to say, I try follow the teachings of Christ, but I don't think anything less of Muslims, Jews, or Buddhists, because it's all the same at its core. I'll even borrow philosophy from the likes of Buddhism without batting an eye. ;)
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 9:52 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I do that too. I really love Buddhist teachings.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 9:54 PM on May. 27, 2009

• A "Christian" is someone who follows or claims to follow the teachings of Christ, according to whatever group/sect/branch/denomonation of Christianity that they belong to. To be saved, the Bible clearly states that you must "believe that Jesus Christ is Lord and that God has raised him from the dead." Everyone that is truly saved is a Christian but not every Christian is truly saved IMHO.

The Bible says "by their fruits, ye shall know them [Christians]." It is important to remember that because many of us are SO different, that one branch/group/denomination will often claim that someone else isn't really a Christian because each group has a different definition of what "Christian fruits" should be.

Only God knows someone's hearts. So while I may suggest to a fellow Christian that perhaps their interpretation of what a certain passage says needs another looking at, I'd never say to someone that they weren't saved ect
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:17 PM on May. 27, 2009

• As Christians, we should not EVER judge another man, because we are equally as sinful as the next. A Christian is a person who has accepted the gift of salvation and put their life in the Lord's hands. It doesn't make us perfect, we still sin, but we are perfected by Jesus in God's eyes. That doesn't give us permission to sin. But we're only flesh and still deal with temptations every day; we mess up a lot. But the Holy Spirit chastens us and we learn and grow from every experience.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:19 PM on May. 27, 2009

• IMO, A TRUE Christian is someone that believes that JC was the son of god and that he was sent to pay for the lives of mankind with his life. Someone that lives their lives by the bible and believes it as the word of God. Someone that lives their lives in accordance with what Jesus would have done... So, I guess by my deffinition there are very few...

A general discription would be someone that believes JC was the son of God and was killed to pay for their sins... By that deffinition there claim to be many!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:21 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I'm a Christian. I believe that Jesus was the son of God and that he died for my sins. I try to live my life through his teachings and have a relationship with God. Where I differ from some is that I believe the Bible to be a guidebook on how to live our lives, but because it was written by man for a specific time, and because it has been translated many times over across language barriers, I do not believe it to be infallible. Because of this, I'm usually accused of not being a real Christian. But I pray to God, and He says we're cool. LOL That's a little joke, but I mean it.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 10:29 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Someone who believes in/worships the God of Abraham and follows Christ and His example/teachings in their relationship with Him (God).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:35 PM on May. 27, 2009

• I also agree with sfwilson
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:36 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Anyone who believes Jesus was the son of God.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:38 PM on May. 27, 2009