Getting rid of pesty fleas....

We have 4 cats and 2 dogs. Our cats are strictly indoor, never allowed out, have never gotten out. Our dogs are treated with Frontline for fleas/ticks. I found a live flea on one of our cats heads so we sprayed all of them with Hartz flea spray, put flea collars on them, and fogged the house with a couple of flea bombs. A few nights ago, I found yet another flea on the same cats head. What did we do wrong? Why would there still be any fleas on our cat or in our house? This is disturbing to us because in all the years that we've had pets, we have never had a problem with fleas! Any suggestions would be appreciated! We're at a loss as to what to do next.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on May. 27, 2009 in Pets

• Take your animals to the vet, there is a pill they can be given that will kill all the fleas on them within 30 or so minutes. Then take your family out for a day while you bomb the crap out of the house. The pill the vet gives them will only take care of the fleas that are already there, so you'll have to give them frontline too. I've done everything possible to get rid of fleas (I had two cats and my roommate had two when I was younger) and we finally had to go to measures like this. It was so very worth the effort and inconvenience though!

ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:05 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Carpet treatments and drop treatments are the way to go. However, NEVER use Hartz. They f*cking suck! make sure whatever you're using kills eggs too. Another handy thing is a flea pad. They're sticky, so fleas die there. I comb my kitten and just toss the fleas on the pad instead of fighting to keep them in between fingers.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:22 PM on May. 27, 2009

• Hartz spray and flea collars are a waste of money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on May. 28, 2009

• if you have a bagless vacuum put a flea collar in there too. so everytime you vacuum it sucks the eggs and fleas. then the collar kills them. and dump the container after vacuuming too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on May. 28, 2009

• wash your cats in dawn dish soap - its safer then any flea treatment and more effective. you need to vacuum your house daily to prevent irenfestations (empty it outside every time) - even if the dogs were treated they can bring one and it passed to the cats - also I have found that sprinkling Borax laundry booster on my carpet, furniture and even hardwood floors and vacuuming it up after an hour helps to keep them away for months at a time. good luck

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on May. 28, 2009

• Put a couple drops of vinegar in their water (it's harmless). Fleas might be coming in from outside when you walk in!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:37 PM on May. 28, 2009